Frequent RDP disconnections to Windows 11 VM hosted on Unraid

Hello,

I’ve been a successful Unraid user for years, and this is the first time I’ve encountered an issue that requires assistance. I’m currently running the latest version of Unraid, hosting multiple Docker containers and a Windows 11 VM.

For years, I’ve been connecting to the Windows 11 VM via RDP on my LAN without any issues. I use this VM daily for about 8 hours to run Microsoft Office applications.

However, I’ve recently started experiencing frequent RDP disconnections. The error message I receive is: “You have been disconnected because another connection was made to the remote computer. Error code: 0x3. Extended error code: 0x5.”

I’ve checked the logs of my VM and didn’t find anything unusual. I also don’t suspect any issues with my PFsense DHCP server or my TP-Link switch.

I would appreciate any suggestions or assistance in troubleshooting this issue.

Thank you very much!

Screenshot 2024-06-07 133738.jpg

Can the RDP port of this VM be reached from WAN? Sounds a little like someone or something is trying a brute force or denial of service attack.

Another thought, see if it's linked to that specific user account, set up another account and use it for a bit and see if the same thing happens.

Thank you Jonathan. I will try your recommendations and reports back. I have just disabled the firewall rule on the PFsense that allows RDP on the WAN (It was only allowing traffic very specific IP addresses anyway that I specified). I will try to change the user too and report back. 

Unfortunately, I’m still experiencing persistent disconnections, despite the fact that the RDP is not permitted from the WAN. I’m not considering logging in as a different user because there’s only one user account (the admin account) on this Virtual Machine (VM), and it’s associated with my Microsoft account. Any other suggestions?

6 hours ago, Jerem said:

I’m not considering logging in as a different user because there’s only one user account (the admin account) on this Virtual Machine (VM), and it’s associated with my Microsoft account.

Why does that preclude testing with another account temporarily? Just add a user, and log in with those credentials.