Randomly Losing Internet Access

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

v6.12.10

Please help for I shall be bald if this continues for much longer for the amount of hair that I am ripping out. My server keeps losing connection to the wider internet but always remains accessible locally. I have had the server setup for about a month and it happened a couple times towards the start but has now occurred at least 5 times over the past 2 days.

Restarting the router and server does not fix the issue. I have factory reset the router. My router's DHCP pool is 10-255 and the server is set at 9. I cannot ping google or 8.8.8.8. The issue occurs even when docker is fully disabled. It'll lose internet connection for hours at a time.

I'm not sure any of my actions have actually contributed to it coming back online. I'm not able to attribute anything further than coincidence. I've looked around many previous forum posts and not found anything that has helped thus far.

Many thanks in advance

Edited by aetherdisco
Posted (edited)

Yeah, as the issue persists after a reboot, I hoped it would provide a more concise set of logs. Unfortunately, after renaming network.cfg and rebooting in safe mode, the issue is still present.

Edited by aetherdisco
  • Solution

DHCP server is not assigning an IP, so that's likely the problem

Jun 11 16:23:35 [1340]: br0: probing for an IPv4LL address
Jun 11 16:23:40 [1340]: br0: using IPv4LL address 169.254.8.32

Assuming it's your router, try rebooting it, also check all contentions from the server to it.

I think I found the issue. My pc and server are plugged into separate powerline extenders and it seems like traffic wasn't being routed properly. It would explain why I could always connect to the server from my pc because they were communicated with eachother through the powerline extenders and not necessarily through the router.

Hopefully, this is actually the issue as it can be hard to tell when things magically stop working and start working again.

Thanks for your help JorgeB!

• Like 1