Cannot reset/format disk

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hey,

i just installed unraid, made an array consisting of an 2x12TB array (parity & disk1) and two chache disks consisting of an nvme and an ssd. The ssd was in use before, it contains the uefi, boot and data section of a previous installment of Ubuntu.

I went through the process of building up the array (24h) and clicked FORMAT for the ssd, which was labeled 'unmountable'. So far, so good.

But for whatever reason, unraid decided just to take the 2GB boot section of that drive to format, not the whole disk. I don't see any way to change that in the backend...is this a bug or a feature i'm too petted to have dealt with for my entire life? I never used an option or a command named 'FORMAT' which just leaves a filesystem without formatting. This is not a useful label on that button.

So, i don't want to destroy anything or want to endanger the consistency of the array, so i kindly ask, what exact steps have to be done (using command line? parted?) to get the full capacity of the disk and get it preperated for the filesystem deployment, when pressing FORMAT. I'm not very experienced in using Linux, i probably need a beginner's description. Please don't get me wrong: i surely can google 'parted' myself, but i really want to know the exact parameters that should be used in the situation of adding an ssd as a cache into a flawlessly working unraid array.

Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited)

ls -l /dev/mapper

total 0
crw------- 1 root root 10, 236 Jun 15 20:08 control
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       7 Jun 15 20:08 ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv -> ../dm-0

fdisk -l /dev/sdd

Disk /dev/sdd: 238.47 GiB, 256060514304 bytes, 500118192 sectors
Disk model: SanDisk SD7TB6S2
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device     Boot Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sdd1        2048 500118191 500116144 238.5G 83 Linux

blkid /dev/sdd

/dev/sdd: PTTYPE="dos"

Edited by Gekko
  • Solution
19 minutes ago, Gekko said:
ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv -> ../dm-0

This is likely the problem, do you remember where/how that device was formatted before?

As for the current issue, reboot, before array start wipe the SSD with

blkdiscard -f /dev/sdX

start the array, and it should now format correctly.