Tailscale VPN connecting via iPhone

I've been trying to connect to the NAS (LincStation) running Unraid 6.12 via Tailscale. I can get all my machines to connect with one another via ping, but when I want to connect to the server to see files, for example, I have:

• put my phone (iPhone 15 Pro) onto cellular data
  • opened the File app
  • tried to "connecct to a server", even inputting the passwords to connect to the NAS
  • I get an error message: "There was a problem connecting to the server. Socket is not connected."

I first installed Tailscale in the Docker. Reading that it is better to use the Tailscale plugin on Unraid, I also installed it.

I will attach a screenshot from my iMac showing my machines. For clarification, the connection called "unraid" is the Docker version, and the connection called "tower" is the Tailscale plugin. You can  see that currently (in this screen capture) I have only 3 machines "connected":

• imac
  • iphone-15-pro
  • tower (which is the Tailscale plugin on the Unraid box).

Oh, some more information: my home network is and eero 6+ mesh network. In trying to use Wireguard (also unsuccessfully), I had already set up reservations on the eero 6+ network for port forwarding (something that should not be needed using Tailscale).

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

Machines_-_Tailscale.jpg

IMG_2596.PNG

6 hours ago, dfishocc said:

I first installed Tailscale in the Docker. Reading that it is better to use the Tailscale plugin on Unraid, I also installed it.

If the plugin and docker were running at the same time at any point, they can fight with each other and cause issues.

I would start by removing the Docker container entirely, then rebooting the Unraid server so that any lingering network pieces get cleared out. If that doesn't work, post diagnostics over in the plugin support thread and I'll take a look.

I deleted the Docker app, then rebooted the Unraid server.

I tried to connect to the server using the Files app in ios (using the credentials to connect to the Unraid server). I got the same result.

Then I went to Tools, Diagnostics, downloaded the file, which I am attaching here.

I am a total NEWB, so I hope something shows up that  can help resolve this issue.

Thanks for your help.

tower-diagnostics-20240617-2225.zip

I have discovered that a potential problem is that Tailscale SSH is NOT running on my system (See screen capture).

Where (how) do I get a terminal window to enter command "tailscale up --ssh"?

I have added the PuTTY in Docker. If I run it and enter the Console, I can try to add the above command, but get an error message: sh: tailscale: not found

I really am sorry that I am such a NEWB. I appreciate your patience with me.

tailscale not found.jpg

tailscale ssh not running.jpg

Tailscale SSH doesn't have anything to do with accessing file shares. I would recommend turning that off if you aren't familiar with what it does.

The problem that you're having is covered in the common problems part of the support thread:

Turn NetBIOS off in your settings.