New to unraid. Help to figure out the best storage configuration

Hey guys, I'm finally leaving Synology and after many video tutorials, I have chosen Unraid for my next setup (waiting for my odroid H4+ with 32gb ram stick to be  delivered atm) and was hoping to get some advice to finish up my setup.

My use will be the following :
- Rtorrent / rutorrent
- .*arr (sonarr / radarr / prowlarr )
- Jellyfin
- Photo collection & management ( Immich or Photoprism)

I have always have work without redundancy and i'll keep it that way (all my sensible data will be backup to an external cloud)

I already have 4x4 TO WD digital red plus HDD (so i guess ill make a 16to pool without parity)

Thats leaves me with 1 x eMMC (Embedded Multimedia-Card) Socket and 1 x M.2 PCI Express Module to finish my setup.

Here are the different scenarios I'm considering
- 4TO SSD Nvme to use as cache (since I have 4x4to HDD) 
- 512 giga Nvme SSD to install the appdata and docker and work without cache?
- Use a 4TO Nvme SSD as cache and use the eMMC to install appdata and docker containers ?

Voila, let me know what you think would be the best for my configuration.
Thx

You should not use the eMMC at all. The write-endurance on those type of 'drives' are very low and it's also very slow. It's like an SD-card you put in your camera...

So, you have 4x sata ports and a pci-e 3.0 x4 for a nvme to work with.

On 6/22/2024 at 1:17 PM, Hugs11 said:

- 4TO SSD Nvme to use as cache (since I have 4x4to HDD)

I don't use all the *arr's but i don't think you 'need' 4TB as cache/appdata/docker -drive.

• Like 1

Thx, I’ve picked up a 2 to nvme to use as cache (and appdata if Unraid let me do both)
It’s still a bit unclear to find the best way to use HDD pool and a SSD as cache for long-term seeding and hardlink, I guess I need to put my hands in unraid first to figure it out.