Single drive server throwing errors - what is the easiest way to replace the drive?

Go to solution Solved by BurntOC,

One of my servers is unlike the others in that it is a SFF device with a single M.2 slot and drive running some containers and a VM.  The SSD is throwing read errors so I bought another.  Usually I'd try to image a drive like this in Macrium Reflect (I'm usually on Windows), but even if it can clone the xfs drive I think Unraid uses the serial number to track it, so just cloning and swapping wouldn't fix it, right?  If not, what's the easiest approach?

• Solution

It is the same stated capacity, so hopefully so.  I'm actually wondering if I should format the new drive for ZFS per the beta notes, to take advantage of some features unsupported by xfs.  I'm not on v7 on that server atm, but I'm considering it after my primary server upgrade has seemingly gone quite well so far.  Maybe I could use a USB SSD enclosure then use mover to move everything over, remove the original drive and pop the new one into the m.2 socket?

If not this approach, I take it if I've cloned the drive with Macrium that I can reset and reimport, and the shares and permissions should be fine due to the /mnt/user mappings Unraid uses?