Move to rack mount setup | Questions about HBA and backplane

I will soon have a RM43-320-RS chassis. The backplane has 5 mini SAS connections and my HBA (LSISAS9300-16i) has 4 ports. This will be my first time using a backplane so I don't know how it will work. I'm assuming a second HBA (LSISAS9400-16I) for the 5th connection? Also, if one is a 9300 which doesn't work with NVME based storage and the other is a 9400 which does work with NVME storage and they're both connected to the same back plane, will that cause issues? 

Looks like the backplane doesn't have an expander, so yes, you need one wide port per connector, but you can just get an additional 9300-8i, 16i would be left with 3 unused ports, unless you have other use for them.

7 hours ago, peace-keeping-villa8590 said:

Also, if one is a 9300 which doesn't work with NVME based storage and the other is a 9400 which does work with NVME storage and they're both connected to the same back plane, will that cause issues?

You can get a tri-mode HBA and use one port for the backplane and the other(s) for NVMe, but note that they require specific Broadcom cables to work with NVMe devices.

7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Looks like the backplane doesn't have an expander, so yes, you need one wide port per connector, but you can just get an additional 9300-8i, 16i would be left with 3 unused ports, unless you have other use for them.

So it appears that each SAS connection connects 4 drives across a row (laterally). So each row the 9400 is attached to will have NVME support. For some reason, I was thinking that all the drives were somehow linked together and would cause issues. It appears that each row of 4 drives are independent. 

8 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You can get a tri-mode HBA and use one port for the backplane and the other(s) for NVMe, but note that they require specific Broadcom cables to work with NVMe devices.

Are special cables required just for the tri-mode HBA or does the 9400 require the special cables as well?