One Power Outage killed my UNRAID

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Basically what the title says and before you go trying to blame the drive, it reads and writes fine still.  UNRAID still fails to start.

Only reason I'm here is to ask, "Has this happened to anyone else?"

The entire server was idle at the time.  Power down time was a few seconds (less then 10 for sure, likely less than 5 seconds).  I am nearly certain this is not normal. 

This is my 10th issue with UNRAID and I'm just a freaking magnet for these things.  Never could get UNRAID to boot into GUI mode by default no matter what I tried, never could get UNRAID to use the correct graphics card, etc. etc.   Most of these issues always came down to the same suggestion, recreate the boot drive, reassign the HDDs in the same order, restart your array, and try again.  Still never solved my issues.  If your go to solution for your OS is to reinstall your entire OS, you've failed as an OS.

Edited by Thunderhead
clarity
5 hours ago, Thunderhead said:

before you go trying to blame the drive,

I would not blame it on the drive, just on you. Get an UPS and get prepared against outages. Else (as you can see) random things can happen. There are too many caches envolved to be able to track down and fix the real issue that happend. So fight against the power company.

For the other things you have mentioned, its strange. But I have read from somebody with a MoBo containing a strange USB controller that permanently wrecks his UNRAID stick. The only solution was to switch the board or get another controller into a slot and attach the stick to that one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a whole home back up power switch, it just takes a few seconds to kick in. 

Windows doesn't break with an unexpected power loss, neither does any Mac OS, Android, TrueNAS, or any of the Linux distros I've had.  Unraid doesn't get a kitchen pass just because you like it.

Even with a UPS they don't last forever and would eventually run out of power themselves.  They also can fail in general.  I've had several that were tested weekly just fail when power was lost causing loss of air to ground radio communications.

12 hours ago, Thunderhead said:

I have a whole home back up power switch, it just takes a few seconds to kick in. 

Windows doesn't break with an unexpected power loss, neither does any Mac OS, Android, TrueNAS, or any of the Linux distros I've had.  Unraid doesn't get a kitchen pass just because you like it.

Even with a UPS they don't last forever and would eventually run out of power themselves.  They also can fail in general.  I've had several that were tested weekly just fail when power was lost causing loss of air to ground radio communications.

I've had UNRAID lose power before, and never had an issue with it. Considering the issues you've been having with just about everything else, it sounds to me as if the hardware you're running it on is the problem. However, if you can get it to work using something like TrueNAS, I wonder why you would bother trying to get an OS working that you're obviously having trouble with?

On 7/27/2024 at 3:06 PM, Guest said:

I've had UNRAID lose power before, and never had an issue with it. Considering the issues you've been having with just about everything else, it sounds to me as if the hardware you're running it on is the problem. However, if you can get it to work using something like TrueNAS, I wonder why you would bother trying to get an OS working that you're obviously having trouble with?

1) I'm running;

AMD Ryzen 5 4600G (integrated Graphics)

ASUS TUF B450M-Pro S

Silicon Power 32gb (2x16gb) DDR4 3200 MHz

Nvidia RTX 3060ti (transcoding)

1x 256gb Patriot NVME (passthrough)

2x 512gb TeamGroup SSD  (cache)

2x WD Ultrastar DC Helium 14tb HDD (parity)

4x WD Ultrastar DC Helium 10tb HDD (array)

2x Seagate Exos 12tb HDD (array)

SilverStone CS382 (w/BeQuiet Fans)

and UNRAID on a Samsung USB

Nothing that should cause any problems.

2) I've been trying UNRAID because it was supposed to be better than TrueNAS and have better support.  Honestly, that's not been my experience so far.