Tell me I didn't do something wrong...

Go to solution Solved by Rysz,

Hello everyone,

I have a Unraid installation with 8 disks + 2 parity disks.

two days ago, disk number 5 had a problem. When I restarted Unraid, a message told me that the file system on disk 5 was unknown. Unraid offered to reformat it to reassign it to the pool, so I clicked on the button and the disk was reformatted. I then imagined that it would rebuild the data on the disk from parity. But I see that it's still pretty much blank...

It all started when I installed the latest version of Unraid (6.12.11).

Since then, my server has started to freeze regularly during the day. I had to rollback to 6.12.10, which has always been stable.

please don't tell me I've lost everything on this disk?

Edited by BœufLord
  • Solution

You lost everything on that disk, a reformat is never part of a recovery (there's like 50 warnings about this).

By reformatting you updated the parity in a way that says disk 5 is supposed to be empty, not being able to rebuild.

Thank you for your reply.

It's really badly designed, to be honest. Despite the warnings, it gives the impression that everything will be rebuilt, even though obviously, as you say, that's not the case.

I'm convinced I'm not the only one who's been fooled.

8 minutes ago, BœufLord said:

Thank you for your reply.

It's really badly designed, to be honest. Despite the warnings, it gives the impression that everything will be rebuilt, even though obviously, as you say, that's not the case.

I'm convinced I'm not the only one who's been fooled.

I understand that data loss hurts, but there is literally a window that needs to be confirmed by the user saying: "A format is **NEVER** part of a data recovery or disk rebuild process and if done in such circumstances will normally lead to loss of all data on the disks being formatted" before the actual format is being done on the disk. These things have happened to all of us at some point (and there's no shame in it), but it's usually our reading comprehension that has failed us and very rarely the OS, so we keep our heads up and let this be a lesson well learned for the future. Still, I'm very sorry this happened to you - the takeaway lessons are two of the major mantras here on the forum for exactly that reason: "parity is not a backup" and "format is never part of a recovery operation".

Edited by Rysz

You might be able to recover much of the data off the drive using disk recovery software like UFS Explorer on Windows.   It is not free to run in recovery mode, but the free version would allow you to see what would be recovered before having to buy it.