Zpool and Usual array interaction

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi guys

Running 7.0.0-beta 2.

I have an array with spinning drives, as well as a cache consisting of smaller SSDs.

Lately I bought a couple of big SSDs that I want to put ZFS on, and I don't whant them to be a part of the usual array with the parity and all. My goal in the future is to be able to buy one SSD drive at at time and expand the Zpool and ultimately remove the old array with spinning drives and the parity drive and rely on the big SSD raidz1.

I started by creating a new zpool outside of the usual array. But how can I make it still able to hold the data or offload the spinning array(i.e. stil being part of the /mnt/user/) ? does the Zpool still need to interact with the parity drive? (I would assume so).

What would a good step by step plan be for me to slowly move over to the zpool? (thinking 1-2 years plan).

I saw the 3 different examples given here: https://unraid.net/blog/zfs-guide

1. "Unraid Parity-Protected Array No ZFS"
  2. "Pure Zpool"
  3. "Hybrid Approach"

Approach 1 does not use ZFS, so thats out.

Apporach 2 is not reachable for me yet since I need more SSD drives to completely replace my spinning array.

Apporach 3 is using my spinning array, but with zfs with a few caveats. It does not seem to be lead me to where my end goal is? (or could I slowly replace drive by drive with an SSD and ultimately remove the parity and make it a raidz1?)

Thankful for any suggestions.

Screenshot 2024-07-21 114300.jpg