Windows 10 KVM Execution Error After Motherboard Upgrade

Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

After upgrading my Unraid motherboard to an ASUS ROG Strix X570-E motherboard, I am getting the following execution error trying to start a Windows 10 KVM.  All other VM's (Various Linux based) and Dockers are working fine after the upgrade.

Execution error

Device 0000:00:14.2 not found: could not access /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:14.2/config: No such file or directory ! Not valid!

I understand that this error relates to a line in the xml which was working fine with the old mobo, but do not know how to fix the issue.

I am attaching diagnostics and the xml and asking if anyone can assist in resolving the issue.

Thank you in advance.

tower-diagnostics-20240725-0829.zip Sharon-PC xml version.docx

• Solution
49 minutes ago, tomjrob said:

After upgrading my Unraid motherboard to an ASUS ROG Strix X570-E motherboard, I am getting the following execution error trying to start a Windows 10 KVM.  All other VM's (Various Linux based) and Dockers are working fine after the upgrade.

Execution error

Device 0000:00:14.2 not found: could not access /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:14.2/config: No such file or directory ! Not valid!

I understand that this error relates to a line in the xml which was working fine with the old mobo, but do not know how to fix the issue.

I am attaching diagnostics and the xml and asking if anyone can assist in resolving the issue.

Thank you in advance.

tower-diagnostics-20240725-0829.zip 246.45 kB · 0 downloads Sharon-PC xml version.docx 14.87 kB · 0 downloads

You can remove that hostdev secton. Want did you have passed thru on old MB?

SimonF, I removed the hostdev section, and it corrected the execution error. Thank you for the assistance. Unfortunately, even though the Kvm starts, it now fails with a message of

No bootable disk. This is the same vdisk file that worked with the last motherboard so I am going to close this thread and investigate the new error.

5 minutes ago, tomjrob said:

SimonF, I removed the hostdev section, and it corrected the execution error. Thank you for the assistance. Unfortunately, even though the Kvm starts, it now fails with a message of

No bootable disk. This is the same vdisk file that worked with the last motherboard so I am going to close this thread and investigate the new error.

Check <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writeback'/> this has not changed to raw

I do not understand what "this has not changed to raw" means. Can you elaborate?

Since last week, I have been able to create new Windows 10 KVM's and they start without issue. I have also done qemu-img check on the vdisk.qcow2 file that will not boot and it returns no errors.

I have looked through the xml of the failing VM and compared it to the new Windows 10 VM's and nothing appears different so I am lost. This VM is important and the only remaining issue from the motherboard upgrade, so any and all help is greatly appreciated. 

9 hours ago, tomjrob said:

I do not understand what "this has not changed to raw" means. Can you elaborate?

Since last week, I have been able to create new Windows 10 KVM's and they start without issue. I have also done qemu-img check on the vdisk.qcow2 file that will not boot and it returns no errors.

I have looked through the xml of the failing VM and compared it to the new Windows 10 VM's and nothing appears different so I am lost. This VM is important and the only remaining issue from the motherboard upgrade, so any and all help is greatly appreciated. 

In the XML. type="raw" or type="qcow2", In 6.12 changing the VM will reset to  raw, Fixed in 7,

<disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains2/DebianQCOW2/vdisk1.qcow2'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='virtio'/>
      <serial>vdisk1</serial>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>