Meshcentral Support Thread

Meshcentral-Docker for Unraid

MeshCentral is a full computer management web site. With MeshCentral, you can run your own web server to remotely manage and control computers on a local network or anywhere on the internet. Once you get the server started, create device group and download and install an agent on each computer you want to manage. A minute later, the new computer will show up on the web site and you can take control of it. MeshCentral includes full web-based remote desktop, terminal and file management capability.

For more information, visit 

While easier to setup and get up and running, you should still peer through the very informative official guides:

Disclaimer

This image is targeted for self-hosting in an Unraid Environment.

NOTE: All Sources are pulled directly from the Meshcentral Repo. (See the GitHub Action File)

I only updated the Dockerfile to be more accommodating for an Unraid build.

Here is a link to the repo: https://github.com/Richy1989/meshcentral-docker 

If you are not comfortable with using my container you may try to use the official one with my template: ghcr.io/ylianst/meshcentral:latest

They are very similar but I needed to fix some stuff to make it run smoothly with Unraid. I cannot support you in this case if you encounter problems. 

Installation

Download the App from the Unraid App store. Set all the environment variables.

This will create a basic config.json file in the DATA folder. For more specific configuration continue in this file, but make sure the FORCE_CREATE_CONFIG environment variable is set to false!

This image is targeted for self-hosting in an Unraid Environment.

NOTE: That this image uses MongoDB. The Database can be configured with a Database URL and User / Password.

If you however choose to not use the MongoDB set the USE_MONGODB environment variable to false, in this case MeshCentral will use an internal database.

NOTE: Make sure that you got the most recent template, this does not matter for a first time installation, but if you just updating, you might miss some paths. 

The Youtube channel of the creator is very helpful: 

Reverse Proxy Installation

See the following: 

Final words

Be sure to check out MeshCentral's github repo. The project is amazing and the developers too!

Edited by Space-Elephant
Added new template and new build

Hi @Richy1989

I'll say thanks. First and foremost. For the effort and contribution to all.

Not here to invoke alarm or offence. But are you able to help dispel some things on my mind?

I saw your submission in the Unraid app store from my server. This brought my attention to MeshCentral, which is awesome and I'd like to start using it as a result. Thanks a lot for bringing my awareness to a great project.

Having giving it a quick spin and enjoyed it. Then went for a look at who/what is behind this image. I'm not a common lurker here on forums, so I don't know you. I just note that you have several submitted apps, a 2021 account and a 10 post count. I couldn't find much info about your methodology or description, referencing inputs in creating this docker image. I went to DockerHub/Github to try find a Dockerfile or something. But unable to find anything. And your description just references the creators repo with the official image.

Can you elaborate on what your Unraid 'tailored' image is about? I note there is already an official image: ghcr.io/ylianst/meshcentral:master - which I have tested post-install (simply changed container image). And it works great with your template. 

Pardon my ignorance if missing something glaring here. However.

Literally any secrets/password/vault/ssh/connection/server management app instances must be pristine and untampered. One unsuspecting deployment can literally be catastrophic in an untold number of ways. For reasons what should be straight forward in understanding. So I decided to bring it up for benefit of all.

Thanks for your prep. I have decided to reinstall using ghcr.io/ylianst/meshcentral:master currently. 

3 hours ago, xshell said:

Hi @Richy1989

I'll say thanks. First and foremost. For the effort and contribution to all.

Not here to invoke alarm or offence. But are you able to help dispel some things on my mind?

I saw your submission in the Unraid app store from my server. This brought my attention to MeshCentral, which is awesome and I'd like to start using it as a result. Thanks a lot for bringing my awareness to a great project.

Having giving it a quick spin and enjoyed it. Then went for a look at who/what is behind this image. I'm not a common lurker here on forums, so I don't know you. I just note that you have several submitted apps, a 2021 account and a 10 post count. I couldn't find much info about your methodology or description, referencing inputs in creating this docker image. I went to DockerHub/Github to try find a Dockerfile or something. But unable to find anything. And your description just references the creators repo with the official image.

Can you elaborate on what your Unraid 'tailored' image is about? I note there is already an official image: ghcr.io/ylianst/meshcentral:master - which I have tested post-install (simply changed container image). And it works great with your template. 

Pardon my ignorance if missing something glaring here. However.

Literally any secrets/password/vault/ssh/connection/server management app instances must be pristine and untampered. One unsuspecting deployment can literally be catastrophic in an untold number of ways. For reasons what should be straight forward in understanding. So I decided to bring it up for benefit of all.

Thanks for your prep. I have decided to reinstall using ghcr.io/ylianst/meshcentral:master currently. 

Hello @xshell

thanks for the hint of the official Docker Image. The only special thing about my Docker is that I build the Docker Image for Unraid specific UID and PID to make everything work smoothly with mounting Volumes in Unraid. With the official Docker Image you need to set the permissions of the mounted folders if you want to change the config in the editor.

But browsing through the official Docker Image made me realize I could improve some things. I will update my Dockerfile, and add a link to my GitHub once it is finished. Until then I will remove the template.

• Like 1