Disk disabled during preclear, smart ok

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I shut down my array about 2 weeks ago to add a new refurbished drive.  Rebooted, preclear went fine.  My array began its scheduled monthly parity check abt 32 hr ago, and 31 minutes in, disk 11 was disabled by the array.  there are a series of read errors in the log, followed strangely by a series of write errors.   Disk 11 is an existing array disk and the new disk is not yet in the array.

anyway i would like to rebuild the disk but thought I'd ask for folks to have a look at my logs and help me make sure the disk is ok, or should i do a warranty return.  here are the logs and thank you for your help.

PA

repository-diagnostics-20240807-0712.zip

Edited by PeteAron

Thanks Jorge,

You refer to this procedure, right?   So when i unassign disk 11 and restart, there will be data there without a drive?  then i reassign disk 11?  A little squeamish about this if im honest.

==  (pulled the following from https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management/#rebuilding-a-drive-onto-itself )

Rebuilding a drive onto itself

There can be cases where it is determined that the reason a disk was disabled is due to an external factor and the disk drive appears to be fine. In such a case you need to take a slightly modified process to cause Unraid to rebuild a 'disabled' drive back onto the same drive.

Stop array

Unassign disabled disk

Start array so the missing disk is registered

Important: If the drive to be rebuilt is a data drive then check that the emulated drive is showing the content you expect to be there as the rebuild process simply makes the physical drive match the emulated one. If this is not the case then you may want to ask in forums for advice on the best way to proceed.

Stop array

Reassign disabled disk

(optional) Tick the box to start in Maintenance mode. If you start the array in Maintenance mode you will need to press the Sync button to trigger the rebuild. The advantage of doing this in Maintenance mode is that nothing else can write to the array while the rebuild is running which maximises speed. The disadvantage is that you cannot use the array in the meantime and until you return to normal mode cannot see what the contents of the disk being rebuilt will look like.

Click Start to initiate the rebuild process and the system will reconstruct the contents of the emulated disk.

This process can be used for both data and parity drives that have been disabled.

Thanks again.

i started the procedure, and the disk is immediately disabled by the array with write errors.  i have stopped the array and will replace the connector, but if this doesnt work, i suppose i RMA the drive?

PA

Posted (edited)

Well I am surprised.  this drive is attached via my SAS card .  i swapped the cable for a spare attached to the LSI card, and the array has begun the rebuild process.

i am confused how that cable could just stop working - its been in place for at least a year, the two cable sets are probably 1.5 yrs old.  Is there anything else i should investigate for problems?  I should note that i never updated this card to work in IT mode, its been in raid mode for years with no issues.  i know i should update this, maybe this is the time after rebuild completes. 

if anyone can suggest an idiot's guide thread, i'd appreciate that.  i know basically how to do it but i am paranoid about this task.

Edited by PeteAron
fixed sig

OK, I did swap out the power cable (direct PS connector) for a molex to 2 sata split connector.  I began the rebuild and it's 45 min into the process (compared to 9 min last time).

I suppose this means i need a new PS?  I am going to order the MSI - MPG A850G today.  but if anyone has reasons why not to get this one Im all ears.

i am budgeting for 12 spinners, this PS has a single rail with 70 Amps available, more than enough and useful up to 15, which is my case's ultimate capacity.

Could this issue be tied to any other possible root cause?

On 8/9/2024 at 5:20 AM, JorgeB said:

I think it's worth swapping the power cable and re-trying, if the same try with a different disk.

The rebuild has completed.  I remain surprised by this as this connector is a standard sata power connector, the middle of three, direct from the PS.  Ever see this before? 

I am replacing the power supply with the one now listed in my sig.  got a good deal from newegg on it. 

Thank you, Jorge.

• Like 1