Home Assistant VM (HAOS) can't be shut down from within HA nor from Unraid VM UI

Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

Has anyone had experience with a VM that won't allow shutting down from within the VM nor from Unraid's UI?

Any attempt at shut down just spins it back up again a second later.

I can't say when this started happening, nor whether it happened with Unraid 6.XX or whether it only started with 7.x

This happened with a MacOS VM which was bothersome because it needed to be up and down frequently on a schedule. At the moment I'm only running Home Assistant where this happens and it isn't a big problem as HA is supposed to run 24/7. It's still something I'd like to get to the bottom of.

I haven't seen this happen with some other VMs like straight Debian, pfSense (freeBSD), Fedora Server.

• 2 weeks later...

Sonofa!  :)  Good call.

I have it installed but thought I also had it disabled - the plugin page says "stopped," but checking the Settings page I can see it's active. Sure enough the VM starting option was on and turning it off solved the shut-down issue.

The plugin itself was a lifesaver when I was running a USB Zigbee stick, as it had the same VID/PID as my Z-Wave stick. Zigbee stick has been replaced with a PoE device, but I keep the plugin anyway to give the Z-Wave stick a nicer display name in HA's device list.

Unrelated, but something odd, is that I just received an email notification about the reply to this thread today, and have never received any kind of notification here in the forum.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Espressomatic
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, Espressomatic said:

Sonofa!  :)  Good call.

I have it installed but thought I also had it disabled - the plugin page says "stopped," but checking the Settings page I can see it's active. Sure enough the VM starting option was on and turning it off solved the shut-down issue.

The plugin itself was a lifesaver when I was running a USB Zigbee stick, as it had the same VID/PID as my Z-Wave stick. Zigbee stick has been replaced with a PoE device, but I keep the plugin anyway to give the Z-Wave stick a nicer display name in HA's device list.

Unrelated, but something odd, is that I just received an email notification about the reply to this thread today, and have never received any kind of notification here in the forum.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Status of stopped is for the usbip daemon. May part uses udev rules which will be in place if the plugin is installed and will action if the switch is set.