MD-900

oconnellc

Sorry if this post doesn't belong here, but I couldn't find any other place that seemed more suitable...

Anyway, does anyone (including Tom) have any idea when the MD-900 page might get updated with prices etc.?  I'm thinking the MD-1500 line is a bit pricey for me, and I want to do a more apples-apples comparison on cost of purchasing a hardware solution here or actually learning a bit more about hardware and trying to build my own.

Thanks,

Chris

oconnellc

I can't help on the current price list, but I think I can help on the decision to buy or build. I don't want to take a sale away from Tom, but I had a lot of fun building my server. Since I'm not a computer expert, building my own was a great learning experience. Now when I want to add new disks or if I have a problem I don't feel like such a novice. The few problems I have had have been quickly resolved from all the knowledge and great help from this board. Good luck.

Gary T.

oconnellc

Building your own will be less expensive...essentially once the price comes out you'll want to see if its worth your time to build "roll" your own server.  Essentially 2 1/2 years ago I had the same decision to make however I do have some PC building experience.  Back then there was a very small hardware option out their that could run unraid.  Today its increased dramatically.

Take a look at the hardware compatibility list on the WIKI http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility   

As for a list of items you'll need Motherboard (pick one with a high number of SATA ports so you don't have to buy a controller right away), processor, 1gb Ram or more, power supply, large case and a usb flash drive

If the mobo doesn't have integrated video a cheap video card, and you'll need to decide if you want removable harddrive enclosures or the stackers to mount your drives.  The enclosures will cost more but are convenient if you need to replace a drive or upgrade.

You'll also want to keep an eye out for good deals on hard drives.  Most larger drive 500GB-750GB can be had for 12-16 cents a gig and 1TB drives have been as low as 19 cents a gig.  I started with 4 drives and slowly populated my server as drives went on sale.

It all comes down to time and what you want out of this project.  After my initial build I haven't had to connect a keyboard or monitor to my server and besides some beta hiccups everything is running great.

Good luck with your decision

Erik

• 4 months later...

Archived