Debian 12 VM and character | (cant type it)

tontza
Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

I have a following problem:

I have installed debian12 minimal netinstall, selected finnish keyboar(also tried swedish which is close to finnish), but i cannot type this character: |

for example : curl -qo- https://get.something.com | sudo bash

Every other letter seems to be in place, but not |

How do i fix this, im certain that during install i have selected correct ones, and in VM creation, there is not much space for error when selecting KB layout..

I can type it normally in unraid console.

Edited by tontza
8 minutes ago, tontza said:

I have a following problem:

I have installed debian12 minimal netinstall, selected finnish keyboar(also tried swedish which is close to finnish), but i cannot type this character: |

for example : curl -qo- https://get.something.com | sudo bash

Every other letter seems to be in place, but not |

How do i fix this, im certain that during install i have selected correct ones, and in VM creation, there is not much space for error when selecting KB layout..

I can type it normally in unraid console.

Try changing the keyboard to none in vm template and it should use the language in the VM.

9 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Try changing the keyboard to none in vm template and it should use the language in the VM.

Im new to VM stuff, where do i find these templates, or can it be changed through unraid ui ? I also tried without selecting any keyboard layout when creating VM, and it was unusable, no matter what i tried i couldnt change KB layout in debian console(it wasnt even near what i selected when installing), i think VM settings did override every attempt.

EDIT correction, i let keyboard to default setting, US kb layout

Edited by tontza
16 minutes ago, tontza said:

Im new to VM stuff, where do i find these templates, or can it be changed through unraid ui ? I also tried without selecting any keyboard layout when creating VM, and it was unusable, no matter what i tried i couldnt change KB layout in debian console(it wasnt even near what i selected when installing), i think VM settings did override every attempt.

EDIT correction, i let keyboard to default setting, US kb layout

When I refer to the template I mean the GUI page. Change VM Console keyboard to no keymap.

image.png

• Solution
1 hour ago, tontza said:

Im on a trial period with 6.12.13 if it matters.

The change is in the 7 beta but you can manually remove the keyboard from the XML, not if you change the VM via the gui it would put it back in.

Switch to form view

image.png

Scroll down to this section and remove the keymap entry some of the other bits may have different values.

image.png

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='fi'>

to

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' >

5 minutes ago, SimonF said:

The change is in the 7 beta but you can manually remove the keyboard from the XML, not if you change the VM via the gui it would put it back in.

Switch to form view

image.png

Scroll down to this section and remove the keymap entry some of the other bits may have different values.

image.png

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='fi'>

to

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' >

Thank you ! This did it, works now :)