Unraid 7.0.0 Update 3 / clone VM really slow (on cache)

Hi,

I just upgraded to Unraid 7.0.0 Update3 and wanted to clone one of my VMs for the very first time.

The speed of rsync is extremely slow (90-120 MB/sec), but the VM is on my cache drive (NVME PCIE 4.0)...

What could cause this?

When i copy the same file within Krusader I get much faster speeds (really fast...BTW the speed during copy in Krusader was not displayed correct on Main tab for the cache) - also tried from NVME cache to SATA SSD cache in Krusader - there I also get the full around 500 MB/sec.

During copy also only my 2 cache drives are utilized, no other drive on the server, that seems to be OK :)

Also the "invalid argument" is a bit strange before start of copy of the VM file.

Thanks for help.

Options for Clone:

Cloning Windows 11 to Windows 11_clone
Checking if clone exists
Checking for free space
Checking for image files

Command executioncp --reflink=always '/mnt/cache/domains/Windows 11/vdisk1.img' '/mnt/cache/domains/Windows 11_clone/vdisk1.img'

cp: failed to clone '/mnt/cache/domains/Windows 11_clone/vdisk1.img' from '/mnt/cache/domains/Windows 11/vdisk1.img': Invalid argument

The command failed revert to rsync.

Command executionrsync -ahPIXS
  --out-format=%f
  --info=flist0,misc0,stats0,name1,progress2 '/mnt/cache/domains/Windows 11/vdisk1.img' '/mnt/cache/domains/Windows 11_clone/vdisk1.img'

/mnt/user/domains/Windows 11_clone/vdisk1.img: Cloning VM: Data copied: 75.16G 100% Percentage: 124.32MB/s Transfer Rate: Time remaining: .

The command finished successfully!

Completing Clone:

Creating new XML Windows 11_clone

towervie-diagnostics-20241005-1400.zip

Edited by Stri
  • Stri changed the title to Unraid 7.0.0 Update 3 / clone VM really slow (on cache)
8 hours ago, Stri said:

Hi,

I just upgraded to Unraid 7.0.0 Update3 and wanted to clone one of my VMs for the very first time.

The speed of rsync is extremely slow (90-120 MB/sec), but the VM is on my cache drive (NVME PCIE 4.0)...

What could cause this?

When i copy the same file within Krusader I get much faster speeds (really fast...BTW the speed during copy in Krusader was not displayed correct on Main tab for the cache) - also tried from NVME cache to SATA SSD cache in Krusader - there I also get the full around 500 MB/sec.

During copy also only my 2 cache drives are utilized, no other drive on the server, that seems to be OK :)

Also the "invalid argument" is a bit strange before start of copy of the VM file.

Thanks for help.

Options for Clone:

Cloning Windows 11 to Windows 11_clone
Checking if clone exists
Checking for free space
Checking for image files

Command executioncp --reflink=always '/mnt/cache/domains/Windows 11/vdisk1.img' '/mnt/cache/domains/Windows 11_clone/vdisk1.img'

cp: failed to clone '/mnt/cache/domains/Windows 11_clone/vdisk1.img' from '/mnt/cache/domains/Windows 11/vdisk1.img': Invalid argument

The command failed revert to rsync.

Command executionrsync -ahPIXS
  --out-format=%f
  --info=flist0,misc0,stats0,name1,progress2 '/mnt/cache/domains/Windows 11/vdisk1.img' '/mnt/cache/domains/Windows 11_clone/vdisk1.img'

/mnt/user/domains/Windows 11_clone/vdisk1.img: Cloning VM: Data copied: 75.16G 100% Percentage: 124.32MB/s Transfer Rate: Time remaining: .

The command finished successfully!

Completing Clone:

Creating new XML Windows 11_clone

towervie-diagnostics-20241005-1400.zip 284.39 kB · 0 downloads

The clone tries to use a copy on write option i.e. if on btrfs and the copy is near instant. It falls back to rsync. I will check rsync options.