parity not completly checked on shutdown but shown as valid on startup 5.0beta14

I think if you power down unRAID during the parity verification process it will be saved as successfully verified.

Parity check for me was at ~10% (of 1.5 TB) and I pressed the power off button. System went down after some seconds (as usual). But next time I started up, I saw "Last checked on ..., parity valid, no errors."

Maybe better to toggle a flag after successfully completing verification? Or also save the current position of the progress every 5% step.

But should be easy to set a flag to remind the user it didn't complete.

A check is not a mandatory thing and is "technically" not needed.  A lot of people here set there servers up so that a check is done at the beginning of each month.  It is just good practice.

Also if you have a cache drive it could save the progress there.

No, I would prefer that unRAID not do that.  And for those running the free version this would not be possible.

Ok, if it's an optional task then I do not care so much. Also it's not a problem to remember when you started parity check and did a reboot during that.

I think the timestamp is saved anyway to flash when you start checking, same if errors are found. I think writting a single byte once in a month will not really decrease life time so much.

Does a parity check start every time you start the server?

no, definately not. but during my setup stage I think it started one time automatically. This was aborted with a reboot by me. Now it shows "Last Checked" and did not start again for several boot-ups.

It would have started a parity calculation the first time you started the array after assigning a parity drive.

Cancelling that initial calculation should NOT show parity as valid, since it is guaranteed to not be correct.

Any subsequent "check" of parity, (assuming it is currently valid) can be cancelled and you are correct, the display is in error saying it completed on xxxxxxxx date.  It probably should track and display  "last checked date" and a "last completed date" separately.

If it is not working as I described, then it is a bug.

Joe L.

It would have started a parity calculation the first time you started the array after assigning a parity drive.

Cancelling that initial calculation should NOT show parity as valid, since it is guaranteed to not be correct.

yes initial parity calculation I did and let it finish. It was also not shown any "checked" date after it. This for sure was started automatically after assigning the drives to the array.

Does a parity check start every time you start the server?

no, definately not. but during my setup stage I think it started one time automatically. This was aborted with a reboot by me. Now it shows "Last Checked" and did not start again for several boot-ups.

So you manually started it and then shut the server down when it wasn't complete?

Peter

The USB drive being read-only could also mean that unRAID having properly unmounted the array disks before shutting down could not record that it had done so meaning unRAID believed the server was improperly powered off on the next boot.

However, the USB drive being read only is usually due to file system corruption and it's not likely the server would properly start again with a damaged USB drive.

Peter