NORCO RPC-3216 30TB File Server.

So this will be my first unRaid build I have ordered everyting and hoping for it to be here next week here is a run down of what it will be

OS at time of building: v4.7

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 Sandy Bridge 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 80W Quad-Core (Note this CPU is overkill but I may be doing more with this server one day)

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O LGA 1155 Intel

RAM: 2x Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Server Memory Total: 16GB (Over kill again but may be using this server for more oneday)

Case: NORCO RPC-3216 3U Rackmount Chassis

Power Supply: SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

SATA Expansion Card(s): 2x SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI Express x4 Low Profile SAS RAID Controller

Cables: 2x NORCO C-SFF8087-D SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 & 2x NORCO C-SFF8087-4S Discrete to SFF-8087 (Reverse breakout)

Fans: Stock

Parity Drive: HITACHI Deskstar (0S03208) 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Data Drives: 10x HITACHI Deskstar (0S03230( 3TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Cache Drive: HITACHI Deskstar (0F13180) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Total Drive Capacity: 30TB

Primary Use: Massive file server!

Dislikes: To come maybe??

And so it begins

8pWCoh.jpg

Gallery

http://imgur.com/a/52HzB#0

I added a drive bracket to the case so I could put the Parity and Cache Drives inside the case instead of taking up a drive slot on the front.

Here is a shot of the added drive bracket.

bGdHsh.jpg

I ran in to some trouble with the PCI slots they have this tab the brackets should slide in to but it is to small for the brackets I had so I had to take the bracket off and force it in to the slot to make it bigger before I could get my PCI cards in. See picture below for the slot they are on the bottom.

Ntpqyh.jpg

I came up 2 Molex short of what I needed to get everything plugged up so I ordered some Athena Power Model CABLE-S15M42 5 + 5 inches SATA 15pin to Dual Molex 4pin Cable to convert some of the sata power to Molex so I can get all the fans running.

And that is where I am at waiting for them cables to come in to continue the build.

One thing - I think you need to use one of the 5.0 betas for 3TB drive support.  According to the latest 5.0 beta release notes, this was added in 5.0 beta7:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnRAID_Server_Version_5.0-beta_Release_Notes  (search the page for "2TB")

Edit: Don't use the latest beta - use 5.0 beta11 as I think the later versions have problems with the AOC-SASLP-MV8 controller.

You are correct I remember reading that and it slipped my mind when posting I will most likely be running a beta build when I get the server up in running. I will probably run some tests with the beta to make sure all is working well if it is I will stick with the beta build. If things do not go well I will run 4.7 and set the drives to 2.2TB a tell a stable version 5.0 comes out.

Thanks for reminding me of that limit with the current build :-).

I think there is a flaw in your cabling?

you have 2 sas to sas cables and you have 2 reverse breakout cables..

with that configuration you'll end up with 2 bays unwired.

you might want to get only one reverse breakout and 3 SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cables.

I think there is a flaw in your cabling?

you have 2 sas to sas cables and you have 2 reverse breakout cables..

with that configuration you'll end up with 2 bays unwired.

you might want to get only one reverse breakout and 3 SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cables.

Thanks I had a hard time figuring out the cabling I will double check it all when it gets here and order what I am missing.

you will have cables cables to get all 12 of your drives up.

You could even get 14 with what you ordered.

you will need to make a cable change for the full 16 bays.

It looks like you ordered a solid build that can run pretty much any OS or application you toss at it.

That case might need a few tweaks make it a little quieter for home use.. but it should be pretty simple.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the 3rd drive now for preclear. takes 31 hours to clear one drive.

you can do more than one at a time...  Might shorten the task.

You know I feel sort of stupid I know you could open more than one terminal why did I not put two and two together..... Anyway Thanks! I have 6 drives going now.

Also for anyone wondering.

32 hours to clear: HITACHI Deskstar (0S03208) 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

41 hours per drive to clear: Data Drives: 10x HITACHI Deskstar (0S03230( 3TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

21 hours to clear: Cache Drive: HITACHI Deskstar (0F13180) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

• 1 month later...