New NIC... not detected/working?

trueimage

How do I force it to detect?

Turned off onboard NIC in BIOS and plugged in the new one..

http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro1000pt_desktop_adapter.htm

PCI-X / X1 or whatever

Any ideas? ;)

I don't have a kb/monitor near where I have the server running, so I have to move it to do that work, and then it isn't plugged into the network.

I reset the BIOS and turned off all the crap I don't need

When I boot (without LAN cable plugged in, i do ping 127.0.0.1 and get an error.

Obviously, when I plug it in headless, I can't ping it or log into the web interface.

I just tried and found that the usb stick wan't getting mounted

now I can't evn boot.

Tried to redo it and it just sits ata flashing cursor, ten says insert media

I tried a couple different us sticks using install instructions... no dice.

I'm using vista ultimate to format etc the usb key and sometimes when running syslinux it crashes cmd.exe

????

I'm using vista ultimate to format etc the usb key and sometimes when running syslinux it crashes cmd.exe

????

I would use a different PC to format and configure your flash drive.  If your copy of Vista is that unstable, I would not trust it to do anything.

Don't forget to "eject" the USB drive safely / "Safely Remove Hardware"  since in this case "safely" means all the data buffered to write to it is actually written.. before you unplug it.

Try using the HP tool to do the formatting if the PC format does not do it... it has proven to work when many other methods did not.  Use the "-ma" option to syslinux to write a master boot record to your flash drive and to mark its partition as active.

Make sure you set the BIOS option on your motherboard to boot from the USB Flash drive.  On some it will show up as a hard disk, and you select it there. (That is how it works on my old motherboard.)  On some motherboards, as you plug in or unplug drives you will need to re-select the USB Drive as the boot device.  If your motherboard BIOS is asking you to insert media, you need to confirm its boot device config.

Joe L.

i got it to boot finally...

but

mount: special device /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID does not exist

That message will appear if you did not set the volume label on the flash drive to UNRAID Odds are you missed that step, or it got overwritten when you re-formatted the flash drive.

Until the label is set, the unRAID software will not be able to mount the flash drive at /boot, and not load the network drivers properly, and your network will not work.

Put the flash drive in a PC, right click on it, and set the volume label.  It should then work when booting unRAID.

Joe L.

We have seen flash drives go bad.  Only other thing you could try is setting the USB port to USB 1.0 vs. USB 2.0 in the motherboard BIOS.  It would help in case where the flash drive speed was marginal.

Glad you got things working.

Joe L.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to buy a new flash drive... which do you use?

I have a pair of 1 Gig Sandisk Mobilemate flash drives.  They were a real bear to get configured, but finally I used linux fdisk to set the cylinders, heads, and sectors, and the "-ma" option to syslinux to make it bootable.

I don't know if any one brand is better than another, but I'd stay with a name brand, just because they are more likely to use better quality memory chips.  I'd stay away from anything that has "U3" preloaded, since you will probably pay a premium for it, and you will only remove it anyway.  A 500Meg or 1 Gig flash drive is fine, you really do not even need one that big.  (The original flash drives were 128 Meg, and they had room for two releases of unRaid at that.)

Joe L.

Archived