System upgrade time..E3-1220 or do I need more power

daniel.boone

Been waiting on the new Supermicro MBs. Now that they are out I'm still leaning toward the MBD-X9SCM-F-O.

Hoping to get input on my build.

I aready have a Norco 4224, 750w Seasonic with a mix of 1 and 2TB drives. I have filled 4 backplanes so it's about 19TB on a Gigabyte MB/Supermicro MV-8 running 4.7 with cache drive. Lately I've been moving my add ons to unRaid but some still run on a XP box I have set up. I do run SAB and SubSonic on unRaid.

I also have a 1430 and a M1015 sitting in a box waiting to get used. I have a small SSD, extra unRaid license and some goodies I can use.  I stream to 2 xmbc systems.

What I'm thinking of doing is swapping the MB with a X9SCM with 16GB ram and a 1220 or 1230 processor, a dual nic as well as my 3 sata cards. What I hope to do is create 2 unRaid guest. One with 4.7 and another with a beta. Split the drives based on HBAs and add a Windows VM and a pfSense VM or simlar. From time to time I could add as many as 4 additonal 2008 server/mssql VMs for testing but they would be deleted once I was done.

My concern is with the processor having enough power to support my VMs. Once I start going with larger processors I get into the $300 to $400. For that $$ I suspect the E5 would be a better option.

Here the breakdown, as always any input is appreciated.

vm1

unRaid 4.7

3GB ram

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Adaptec 1430sa

vm2

unRaid Beta

2GB ram

IBM M1015

vm3 pfSense

1GB ram

CF card or SSD or laptop drive

dual Intel nic...Recommendations please, i haven't picked it out yet.

vm4 WinXP

3GB ram

laptop drive or SSD

Thanks

Archived