File Permissions issues Root vs nobody [Solved]

Build: Unraid 5b13

SABNzbd: 0.6.1.5

Sickbeard: Latest version.

Hello,

I am having some problems with file/folder permissions when downloading from SABNzbd and using the Sick Beard post processing script sabTosickbeard.py.

The files are automatically transferred to my /mnt/user/TV folder but the permissions are changed to user root:root instead of nobody:users.  I can manually correct this by doing a chown -R nobody:users then my windows box and XBMC Eden box can access the files fine.  Until then I receive permission errors or just no response.

I have read a lot of "fixes" on this board but cannot seem to find one that works for me.

I have changed the owner of all files relating to sickbeard and SABnzbd.  I have added 770 or 775 in the SABNzbd settings but somehow it still remains root/root.

One thing I am struggling with is riding myself of using the Root user.  I have created a new Admin user but it will not let me SSH to the unraid server with it. 

I should note that I have installed Sickbeard and SABNzbd manually and not through UNMENU.

If anyone could assist it would be greatly appreciated.

Still not very good with Linux.

When I attempt to run as nobody I receive a permission denied.

root@Tower:~# su nobody -c "python /mnt/cache/.custom/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -d -s 192.168.1.10:88 -f /boot/config/sabnzbd.ini"

/bin/bash: /usr/bin/python: Permission denied

or

root@Tower:/mnt/cache/.custom/sabnzbd2# su nobody -c python /mnt/cache/.custom/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -d -s 192.168.1.10:88 -f /boot/config/sabnzbd.ini

su: invalid option -- 'd'

Usage: su [options] [LOGIN]

The first command should work, and probably will once you correct the permissions on the SABnzb folder.

Look through my unMenu packages to get an idea on what you should be doing one startup of SABnzbd and SickBeard to get them to run as nobody.

Thanks for the suggestion prostuff1

Okay so I decided to start fresh and delete my SABnzbd and Sickbeard and install through your package.  I still can't seem to get SABNnzbd to start as nobody using your scripts.

I attached my telnet log testing.  Basically I listed the properties of sab folder then attempted a start command using your package instructions, then listed the running processes and then attempted to stop the process (which never started).

Any additional thoughts?

unraidlog.txt

What version of unRAID are you running?

and my unMenu packages should install and start SABnzbd.  If you want to replace the .ini file you will need to stop SABnzbd, put .ini file in place, then start again.

After you start it try getting to the web interface for SABnzbd.

Also provide the output of a

ps -ef | grep sab

What version of unRAID are you running?

and my unMenu packages should install and start SABnzbd.  If you want to replace the .ini file you will need to stop SABnzbd, put .ini file in place, then start again.

After you start it try getting to the web interface for SABnzbd.

Also provide the output of a

ps -ef | grep sab

Unraid 5.b-13

Linux 3.1.0-unRAID.

root@Tower:~# ps -ef | grep sab

root    15310 15231  0 15:29 pts/0    00:00:00 grep sab

root@Tower:~#

I left the original .ini in place and tried again -- same results.  I can start SABNZbd by using "root" but not "nobody"

Delete the install you have, make a backup of your .ini first, then install using my unMenu package. At the end of the installation everything should be up and running.  If not, there are other problems on your end most likely.  If you need more help beyond that, see the first post in the SABnzbd thread and show me the output of the commands I list there.

Delete the install you have, make a backup of your .ini first, then install using my unMenu package. At the end of the installation everything should be up and running.  If not, there are other problems on your end most likely.  If you need more help beyond that, see the first post in the SABnzbd thread and show me the output of the commands I list there.

I agree problems on my end. Just not sure how to fix it! :)

Okay tried again. Same results it will not open.  I went through the commands and one really stands out as an issue.  I have attached them all in a log file but here is the one that look wrong to me.

root@Tower:/boot/Packages# /mnt/cache/.apps/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py -v

-bash: /mnt/cache/.apps/sabnzbd/SABnzbd.py: Permission denied

unraidlog2.txt

• 1 year later...

Thought append my solution here. Not really mine but took some time to find it and it worked for me.

Problem: Transmission cannot save files into data directory: Permission denied error. Run as nobody, permissions repaired, still no go.

This worked:

"Re: Permission denied

by endle

I was having a very similar issue, and also have scoured the web looking for possible solutions. Finally it dawned on me, so I wanted to post this here for posterities sake:

Currently, I have a seperate hard-drive mounted as /mnt/Downloads and then I sym-link to that from my home-folder.

After trying every possible configuration of permissions, I finally figured out that Transmission wanted the direct path to the Downloads folder (/mnt/Downloads) rather than my sym-link path of /home/me/Downloads

Once I did this, and then restarted transmission-daemon, the permission errors went away"

So in Transmission config I replaced //Downloads to //mnt/user/Downloads, restarted Transmission, success! :-)))