Permissions for /Var

On my quest to see all blinking lights every once in a while, I knew my cache drive wouldn't spin down as long as Sab/sickbeard/couch potato were writing logs to the drive. Since sab does nothing unless told to, and sickbeard and CP both search once a day, and the mover script runs once a day, the drive should (theoretically) be spun down most of the time, unless of course I'm writing to the array. The trio are usually done by time the mover script runs so after ~4 the cache drive should spin down, and stay down most of the day.

So I went to change the location for the logs to /var/log/sicklog and /var/log/sablog, Couch potato didn't look like it had an option, and since it doesn't do anything except once a day, it shouldn't keep the drive spun up. Of course I was met with an error that the logs couldn't be written to that location because of permissions/ownership.

So my question is, is it ok to change the ownership of /var/log to nobody:users ? I looked through the directory and didn't see anything that would be harmful, but just checking with the guru's.

I changed the owner to see if the cache drive would spin down and it has, so I'm happy about that, now just to see if its safe to keep it that way,  :o

I hear ya captain, now off to change it, :)

I created the separate folders, now to just chown everything else back to root, :)

EDIT: Done, atleast it was a quick and easy fix.

It should be somehow added to the plugin to do that automatically, makes much more sense that way

Archived