Fractal Design Define XL - $99.99 w/ Free Shipping

sloandsteady

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this myself. Was going to go the Norco 4224 route, but decided to start smaller, especially since I only have 1.5TB of data. This, along with most of Johnm's Atlas build should hold me over for quite some time. I also think the wife will be more accepting of this (cheaper price & aesthetics).

I've purchased 2 of these for unRAID (one for me, and one for a friend).

They are solid cases, but there were some quality issues, in my opinion:

• my case came with a dented side panel, but the box was damaged so this probably happened in shipping
  • one of the drive caddys was bent in such a way it wouldn't click into the rails properly
  • the fan contoller for both had to be bent to fit into the expansion slot
  • the fan controller, when mounted into the non-motherboard expansion slot is difficult to access
  • the bracket that mounts the 2 fans at the front is not as easy to remove, put back as it could be
  • the manual is so sparse it's not very useful
  • the fans are pretty anaemic - but as my drives are spun down most of the time this isn't a huge concern for me.  I'd probably have to replace them if my unRAID box was doing more stuff
  • I wish there were more spots (under the motherboard ideally) for zip tie, tie offs.  I had to buy extension cables for the PSU, and would like to snake the cables back and forth to use up the excess slack

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the case, just something new buyers should be aware of.

Archived