Swap Parity & Data Drive: Process?

Currently running:

1x 2TB Parity Drive

5x 2TB Data Drives

1x 1TB Cache Drive

All the drives are WD Green drives.  One data drive went bad.  I previously RMA'd a drive and WD replaced it with a Black Drive.  I replaced the bad drive with this drive (disk2) and it's currently rebuilding.

Here is my question:

Since the Black drive is the faster drive, I'd like to make that my parity drive and take the green parity drive and make it the new data drive (drive2).  Is this possible without another drive?

If not, then I think I might just RMA this bad drive and then when I get the new one back from WD, I'll remove drive2 (currently the black drive) and replace it with the new drive from WD, let it rebuild, and then remove the parity drive and replace it with the black drive that I would have just removed.  I'll then still have a spare 2TB drive (the former parity drive).

Thanks.

Currently running:

1x 2TB Parity Drive

5x 2TB Data Drives

1x 1TB Cache Drive

All the drives are WD Green drives.  One data drive went bad.  I previously RMA'd a drive and WD replaced it with a Black Drive.  I replaced the bad drive with this drive (disk2) and it's currently rebuilding.

Here is my question:

Since the Black drive is the faster drive, I'd like to make that my parity drive and take the green parity drive and make it the new data drive (drive2).  Is this possible without another drive?

No.

If not, then I think I might just RMA this bad drive and then when I get the new one back from WD, I'll remove drive2 (currently the black drive) and replace it with the new drive from WD, let it rebuild, and then remove the parity drive and replace it with the black drive that I would have just removed.  I'll then still have a spare 2TB drive (the former parity drive).

Thanks.

Sounds like a plan.

Unless you are simultaneously writing to multiple data disks, there will be no change in performance by having a faster parity drive.

I seriously doubt you'll see any difference when writing to the array as performance is still limited to the slower of the disks involved.

Joe L.

Archived