[SOLVED] Cannot add more than 17 disks to the unRAID server?

I have had this problem for sometime now.

I have many times tried to add 18th drive to my array but it doesn't work.

Everything goes fine until the screen where the hdds should show. I only get blank screen with little white dash in the left upper corner of the screen.

Do I have unsufficient power or something?

And another thing, when I move large files (20-30GB) to a share when the array has something like 5 disks that have more space than the file itself, I get some "cannot access file" error and I am just shure it has something to do with calculating the free space on those disks. I have most-free option for the share.

My specs below.

Everything goes fine until the screen where the hdds should show. I only get blank screen with little white dash in the left upper corner of the screen.

It could be that, or, it could easily be that the flash drive is no longer the boot drive and you need to select it in the BIOS. 

And another thing, when I move large files (20-30GB) to a share when the array has something like 5 disks that have more space than the file itself, I get some "cannot access file" error and I am just shure it has something to do with calculating the free space on those disks. I have most-free option for the share.

My specs below.

It could be that, or, it could easily be that the flash drive is no longer the boot drive and you need to select it in the BIOS. 

My specs below.

Your single large file must fit on a single disk AND you must have the min-free setting greater AND it must be set correctly (it is in kb).

Joe L.

Thanks Joe L.!

The array starts normally when I remove the 18th drive. Always has.

So I don't think I has to do with the bios settings. I have seen unraids that have less watts in their power supply, but still have the 22 drives connected. I have replaced the old 1.5tb drives with new 2.0tb drives and never have had any problems with those.

But I think I have the file transfer problem solved. I have had way too low numbers for the min-free setting. But if I put something like 30000000kb limit do I lose my ability to save files less in size to a drive in that share?

Install the drive and enter BIOS setup. Make sure that the flash drive is selected as the boot drive after adding the new HDD. The BIOS is setting the newly added drive as the boot drive rather that the flash drive. This is common on some MBs.

Min free space refers the the amount of free space that must be available for any file to be written to the share. It has nothing to do with file size.

Install the drive and enter BIOS setup. Make sure that the flash drive is selected as the boot drive after adding the new HDD. The BIOS is setting the newly added drive as the boot drive rather that the flash drive. This is common on some MBs.

Thank you, now I think I understand.

Min free space refers the the amount of free space that must be available for any file to be written to the share. It has nothing to do with file size.

But does this mean that if I set the min free space to 30Gb I cannot move a file that is under that size to that share if all the disks have under 30Gb's of free space?

Thank you, now I think I understand.

But does this mean that if I set the min free space to 30Gb I cannot move a file that is under that size to that share if all the disks have under 30Gb's of free space?

You could always use the "disk" shares in that situation. (or reset the size limit smaller, then copy the file to the user-share, then reset it)
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived