5.0-RC3 - ASMedia 1061 works now -- but Port Multiplying fails

Not sure that works physically.... [male vs. female connections]

That pretty much sums up the whole "gay marriage" dilemma, too. :)

Geek humor. Made my day :)

Did I miss something?

Yeah ... two of these  [link]. :)

[Realistically, though, with all that cabling, and connectors/adapters, and then going out to E-Sata (which is not real E-Sata), you could be laying out the royal welcome mat for dear ol' Murphy. But ...]

Ugh.  I'm tempted, before spending a grand total of 2 x $3.99 M/F adapters to get my SuperMicro to drive two Esata ports -- to just get another Marvell based card and make it easier... 

Or, since the original goal was to create a second unraid server -- not to plan on re-using the Asmedia cards on that server -- just make sure I'm using Marvel cards over there.  {Marvell driving port-multiplier external cabinet = Good..  for now Asmedia with port-multiplier external cabinet = Bad}

For MY particular purposes,  I think we can call this closed.  I've got solutions to the "problem" that I can work with.

But for the purposes of reporting issues with 5.0-RC3 -- which had recently added Asmedia 1061 support -- that was the "original" point.  For now, the Asmedia 1061's don't do port-multiplying.  With 5.0-RC3.  Fine by me :)

But I think we're approaching the proverbial -- "When you are up to your ass in alligators, you forget that your original mission was to drain the swamp."

Now, if somebody has some other more "software-ish" (or RCx ish) thingy-ish for me to try,  I've got the experimental hardware to do it :)

Seriously, and sincerely -- in the end, thanks EVERYBODY.

Now the only thing remaining is the cosmetic? (or is it more than that) -- that my Marvell isn't showing up in the "dmesg | grep ^ahci"

RR 622A will work. It does have a port multiplier but the marketing does not mention it.

The reason I didn't use the Marvell card is that I need *two* port-multiplying eSata channels {My external jbod chassis is 8-bay, 1 channel per 4 drives, with two external eSata connections} -- and, more specific -- that I was dedicating the Marvell card to my Parity drive -- didn't want to have it sharing bandwidth driving the external chassis.

The RR 622A has 2 independent port-multiplying eSata channels.

RR 622A will work. It does have a port multiplier but the marketing does not mention it.

The reason I didn't use the Marvell card is that I need *two* port-multiplying eSata channels {My external jbod chassis is 8-bay, 1 channel per 4 drives, with two external eSata connections} -- and, more specific -- that I was dedicating the Marvell card to my Parity drive -- didn't want to have it sharing bandwidth driving the external chassis.

Yea, correct.  It's chicken/egg stuff for my particular build.  The Marvell I have has 1 eSata and 1 sata -- and I was "dedicating" it (using only the internal sata) to my parity.  Hadn't wanted to touch it for driving 4 more drives externally.

So adding another Marvell, as I noted in my last post, is another option.  Perhaps with dual eSata portss, and ditching my SATA->eSATA adapter plate.

TY.

Yea, correct.  It's chicken/egg stuff for my particular build.  The Marvell I have has 1 eSata and 1 sata -- and I was "dedicating" it (using only the internal sata) to my parity.  Hadn't wanted to touch it for driving 4 more drives externally.

So adding another Marvell, as I noted in my last post, is another option.  Perhaps with dual eSata portss, and ditching my SATA->eSATA adapter plate.

TY.

More than 2 drives on an e-SATA port will seriously degrade the speed of parity checks and the like.

More than 2 drives on an e-SATA port will seriously degrade the speed of parity checks and the like.

Yup.  I know from experience.  That's why I only used my "baby" 500gbs in there, once past 500gb Parity checks flew... -- this is/will be ultimately for a standby-test build...  I retired the whole thing from production for performance.

Archived