21 hours ago21 hr I upgraded my Unraid machine and am running on a Gigabyte Z890 Aorus Elite WiFi7 Plus with Intel Core Ultra 270k Plus (Thank you Microcenter). I can run either... 32GB (16GB x2 DIMMs) of DDR5-6000 - CL36-36-36-96orwith an adapter... 32GB (16GB x2 SODIMMs) of DDR5-5600 - CL46-45-45-90Baring the obvious slight speed difference, would I ever notice the difference? It's probably 80% a media server with some other apps running, but I'm planning on running some local AI with the installed 5080 if that matters. Thank you for any insight.
14 hours ago14 hr For your setup, I would use the 2×16 GB DDR5-6000 desktop DIMMs. For media serving and ordinary containers, I would expect little noticeable difference, provided both configurations are stable and have enough RAM. SODIMM describes the smaller physical format; it does not inherently mean slower memory.Your particular desktop kit does have better specifications: about 7% more theoretical bandwidth and lower latency. That does not translate directly into a 7% application improvement.For local AI, the model and how it runs matter more. The RTX 5080 has 16 GB of GPU memory. If inference fits entirely in GPU memory, I would expect system RAM speed to make less difference. If you use CPU/GPU hybrid inference system RAM capacity and bandwidth become more relevant.Since both kits provide 32 GB, I see little benefit in choosing the slower kit through an adapter unless it's much cheaper. Use the motherboard’s recommended slots for two modules, confirm the actual operating speed, and run a boot-time memory test after the upgrade.
8 hours ago8 hr Unless the cost savings is significant, I would not use SODIMM form factor on a desktop platform.Performance-wise it's objectively going to perform slower than standard DIMMs but for a media server it wont really matter.The PCIe bandwidth for the GPU and the GPU VRAM matters most for running a local LLM.16GB of VRAM is going to be your biggest bottleneck Edited 8 hours ago8 hr by MowMdown
5 hours ago5 hr Author I appreciate the info, thank you. I picked up the 32GB SODIMMs for $150 so already have both sets. The main reason I was considering using the SODIMM in my Unraid was to upgrade another system to 64GB....that or build another 32GB system.I upgraded from a 32GB DDR3 system and didn't really notice it being slow, but that was before thinking about local AI.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.