Help Moving My Build To Norco RPC-2212

CDLehner

Guys, I'm sorry; I need some basic help, and I think my first thread...in the Compulsive Build area (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=20885.0)...is largely getting ignored, because it's probably in the wrong place. The questions I need answered, are probably far below the level that should be covered there.  :-[

I guess to build my own server at all, I know more than the average Joe; but every time I go through a major change (for the record, I started off with this ARK 4U-500 case...successfully ported to a Norco 4020 for a brief spell, and then went running back...lol), I need a few points in the right direction from the group.

I'm now trying to move my build to the 2U Norco RPC-2212 (duh). Here are some things I'm curious about:

1) First time dealing with a new, 2U PSU. Other than screwing it into place, is there anything else I should/could look to do, to "secure" it better? These came with the PSU; and of course, there were various brackets that came with the case.

13-1-1-1-1.jpg14-1-1-1.jpg15-1-1-1.jpg

2) Which CPU connector should I be looking to use? This Red one doesn't seem to fit...but these other two do. As you might be able to see...one of the connectors says EPS on it?

DSC02408-1.jpgDSC02409-1.jpgDSC02410-1.jpg

3) Is this PSU going to be able to power my build? I got this guy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338093, and I thought with 40 amps off the single 12v rail, I was sitting pretty. However...there are 2 leads with IDE supplies; one with (2)...which I will need to run the fan board, and one with (3). Can I use the (3) single IDEs to power the drive back-planes here?

DSC02411-1.jpgDSC02412-1.jpgDSC02413-1.jpg

4) Lastly (for now)...this is my new SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101358). I know it goes on the PCI Express slot, and those are my Blue slots here, right? Any reason to choose one over the other, on my board (Gigabyte MA790GPT-UD3H)? Like one is faster than the other, or something like that?

DSC02414-1.jpgDSC02415-1.jpg

Guys, thanks in advance for any and all help. I know by some standards, these are very simple questions...and it can be a chore for the guys who know their stuff, to entertain such fodder...lol. It is appreciated!

CD

Not sure about the securing of the PSU, never had a 2U case so not familiar with them at all.

I can't see in the pictures but you will know the CPU connector because the yellow wires will be on the clip side of the connector. If both are like that, you can use either one, I'd go ahead and use the EPS one, its designed for higher load systems...like a server, :).

Looks like the connector is a 20 pin, does it have the 4 pin connector as well?

You can use either line with sata connectors, they are both fed from the single 12V rail. Thats the benefit of a single-rail psu, on a multi-rail the rails may be split, providing uneven amperage, with the single rail the amps are there for use by the whole system, no matter what connector or string of connectors you use.

You can connect the expansion card to either PCI-E port, (yes its the blue ones), the first one(closest to CPU) will technically operate faster, but since the expansion card runs at x4, it will not make a difference.

That board is designed for port 1 to run at x16, port 2 to run at x8. If something is plugged in port 2, port 1 will run at a max of x8 mode. Again, with the expansion card this doesn't matter as it is x4.

Also, it is noteworthy that if you move to a different case and use a standard PSU, you can connect a 4 pin connector to the 8-pin CPU connector, it will only fit in one way so you'll know which pins it goes in.

Not sure about the securing of the PSU, never had a 2U case so not familiar with them at all.

I can't see in the pictures but you will know the CPU connector because the yellow wires will be on the clip side of the connector. If both are like that, you can use either one, I'd go ahead and use the EPS one, its designed for higher load systems...like a server, :).

Looks like the connector is a 20 pin, does it have the 4 pin connector as well?

You can use either line with sata connectors, they are both fed from the single 12V rail. Thats the benefit of a single-rail psu, on a multi-rail the rails may be split, providing uneven amperage, with the single rail the amps are there for use by the whole system, no matter what connector or string of connectors you use.

You can connect the expansion card to either PCI-E port, (yes its the blue ones), the first one(closest to CPU) will technically operate faster, but since the expansion card runs at x4, it will not make a difference.

That board is designed for port 1 to run at x16, port 2 to run at x8. If something is plugged in port 2, port 1 will run at a max of x8 mode. Again, with the expansion card this doesn't matter as it is x4.

Also, it is noteworthy that if you move to a different case and use a standard PSU, you can connect a 4 pin connector to the 8-pin CPU connector, it will only fit in one way so you'll know which pins it goes in.

Influencer, thanks for the help so far. I have some follow-up questions (natch)...but I think I have a bigger fish to fry right now.

I had read some comments about the AOC-SASLP-MV8 (which I got) vs. AOC-SAS2LP-MV2...and how the SAS2 handled larger drives, etc. I wasn't so concerned about drives above 2T (at least for now...although it would be nice to "future-proof")...but now am I reading correctly; the SASLP only handles 4 drives...as opposed to the SAS2 handles 8??

I just assumed, because it had (2) SFF-8087s, that each handled 4 drives...for a total of 8 (also, specs say "external connectors...8 x SAS"; obviously, I don't know my way around these cards very well). So let me get this straight: if it's true, the SAS2 handles more and bigger drives, and it turns out it's slightly cheaper!? Did I make a HUGE mistake with my choice??

I haven't installed it yet (although I cracked the package open last night); should I be looking to return the SAS for the SAS2?

Thanks,

CD

the SASLP only handles 4 drives...as opposed to the SAS2 handles 8??

No. The SASLP handles 8 drives. And also, it does handle 3TB and bigger drives, with the firmware 3.0.21.

So, it is 4 drives per connector. The only difference is that the SASLP has less bandwith (because it is 4x PCI-E instead of 8x), and that the SASLP only goes to sata-300 instead of sata-600, which doesn't matter for mechanical drives.

Another difference that may or may not matter to you , is that the SAS2LP is not supported by unraid 4.7, while the SASLP is supported. So, if you had the SAS2LP, you'd need to use the 5.0 versions. Since 5.0 has been working great for a long time already and it is just some external driver-issues that keep complicating things, there's no real reason not to use 5.0 anyway, I think.

the SASLP only handles 4 drives...as opposed to the SAS2 handles 8??

No. The SASLP handles 8 drives. And also, it does handle 3TB and bigger drives, with the firmware 3.0.21.

So, it is 4 drives per connector. The only difference is that the SASLP has less bandwith (because it is 4x PCI-E instead of 8x), and that the SASLP only goes to sata-300 instead of sata-600, which doesn't matter for mechanical drives.

Another difference that may or may not matter to you , is that the SAS2LP is not supported by unraid 4.7, while the SASLP is supported. So, if you had the SAS2LP, you'd need to use the 5.0 versions. Since 5.0 has been working great for a long time already and it is just some external driver-issues that keep complicating things, there's no real reason not to use 5.0 anyway, I think.

That's great help Wody, thanks. I'm kinda torn; just yesterday, I cracked the seal on my SASLP...even though I haven't installed it yet. So, unfortunately...that's gonna cost me 15% with NewEgg.  :( I'm trying to decide if I just bite the bullet, and RMA the SASLP and get a SAS2LP. OTOH...the SASLP would likely suit my needs for now.

CD

OK...so while I decide whether to keep the SASLP or lose the 15% re-stocking to NewEgg and get a SAS2LP instead (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=21468.0) ...I'm trying to move forward with my build a bit. Got the power, reset, and power LEDs set-up on the F_Panel; I'm trying to figure out HDD activity on this case.

I have NIC1 and NIC2 LED leads (can't imagine I use these), and then these 2 sets of "Data" leads. This seems like the culprit, as the case has 2 HDD activity lights on the front (although 3 back-planes worth of drives?); I just can't figure where these go off my board?

DSC02416.jpg

DSC02417.jpg

Thanks,

CD

Depending on what revision of the 2212 you got, it will have 1 power LED, 1 HDD LED, 2 NIC leds and no USB... the newest revision I believe only has a Power LED, 2x NIC leds and a USB plug.

You probably do not have a nic header on your MB. you can use the Nic led for a HDD LED if you wanted to.

I'm trying to decide if I just bite the bullet, and RMA the SASLP and get a SAS2LP.

It's pretty simple. Do you plan on using lots of SSDs and wouldn't have enough sata-600 ports on the motherboard? Then get a sas2lp. If you're using mechanical drives, it won't matter, because almost all harddrives can't get up to sata-150 speeds, let alone sata-300 or sata-600. Of course then you can debate about things like different pci-x versions being more efficient and so on, but you won't notice any real difference.

I'm trying to decide if I just bite the bullet, and RMA the SASLP and get a SAS2LP.

It's pretty simple. Do you plan on using lots of SSDs and wouldn't have enough sata-600 ports on the motherboard? Then get a sas2lp. If you're using mechanical drives, it won't matter, because almost all harddrives can't get up to sata-150 speeds, let alone sata-300 or sata-600. Of course then you can debate about things like different pci-x versions being more efficient and so on, but you won't notice any real difference.

Is that true? That kind of answers this question:

Guys...I'm wringing my hands, but trying to make a quick decision. Do I halt my build, RMA the SASLP and "trade-up" to the SAS2...or just "settle" for the SASLP?

I know no one can answer that for me...but I guess what I'm asking are, what are the downsides of the SASLP? Obviously, all things being equal...you'd want newer, better, faster. OTOH...I know the SAS2 isn't supported unless you go 5.0 (no problem there, as I'd like to...unless it's "challenging" for a relatively basic user like myself). But also...like, are the speeds and advantages theoretical at this point? In other words...do they out-run my parts, or unRAID as a platform?

Because to answer your question...I don't see using SSDs for the foreseeable future, if ever. So really; is the SAS2 is much ado about nothing (in your opinion of course)?

CD

here is your answer... 1 you have the saslp-mv8 right now...

your motherboard has 6 ports, your server has a 12 drive limit.... put 6 drives on the mv8 and 6 on the motherboard.. you cant oversaturate the mv8. you will get full performance to all mechanical drives.. SSD's would have to go on motherboard ports.

The sas2 will not really be much use. The mechanical drives(especially green drives), will not make use of the extra bandwidth from the SATA-III compatibility.

The most you'd notice is a posssibly higher burst speed using sata-III, but its not a difference I'd waste 15% on.

Stick with the saslp and you'll be fine, if in the future you notice your hitting the ceiling of that card, you've most likely upgraded everything else and its time for the card to be upgraded as well.

And future-proofing technology these days is nearly impossible, by the time SSD's are low enough one would feel compelled to fill a server with them, sata IV will be out and you'd still look to upgrade, :)

So really; is the SAS2 is much ado about nothing (in your opinion of course)?

It's newer, which means the same as better for some people. But in this case, you're talking about the safety of your data, and then I'd much rather go with an older more proven technology, especially since performance doesn't matter, and with the restocking-fee it would be more expensive.

And, with the saslp, you could run unraid 4.7 if you had to, without having to worry about the potential driver-issues that some versions of 5.0 had, which makes things easier, not having to worry about which 5.0 to run etc.

OK...having gotten the thumbs-up, go-ahead from the forum brain-trust; I moved forward with my port.

Here's the business end of things to this point

DSC02418.jpg

I was ready for a test boot. Only thing that's changed (to my knowledge), is I have installed the SASLP; but I'm stuck at boot on "Verifying DMI Data Pool......AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!"

Thoughts?  ???

Thanks,

CD

I was ready for a test boot. Only thing that's changed (to my knowledge), is I have installed the SASLP; but I'm stuck at boot on "Verifying DMI Data Pool......AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!"

Thoughts?  ???

Thanks,

CD

Did some Google'ing on my own, and I see one suggestion...for a similar problem...to "load optimized defaults".  ???

CD

^^^Update: from what I can tell, this "error" is pretty innocuous, and perhaps common to GigaByte boards(?). So I don't know that this is keeping me from booting up. Others report the error, but just moving right by it. So my thought is another boot problem, and this just happens to be the last thing the board is displaying.  ???

Also...just for SnGs, I did try taking the SASLP card off; no change.

CD

OK; move is pretty much finished. I have to say, with that stupid GigaByte board error (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=21488.0) ...things went a bit hairier than I expected. Last step was to get an SAS SFF-8087 cable...and that is also the last problem I'm likely to run into (for now anyway).

I got this cable http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116094. It's fine...except...that stiff rubber collar at the connector, makes for real trouble in the RPC-2212 case. In hindsight, I think it was a really poor choice...for Norco to not put the SAS port, right smack in the middle of the back-plane; so you can come straight-back through the hole in the fan-board with the cable. As it is...which is just slightly off-set...it's a really snug fit around those THICK stock fans.

DSC02418.jpg

You can see, the reverse break-out...running the first 4 drives off my MoBo...is flexible enough (and high enough) to snake around; but this 3com cable, not so much. I had to take that fan off the board, just to get the cable on there.

DSC02419.jpg

Obviously, that's no good...long term. What do you think: something with a right-angle at one end (but still a stiff-looking collar) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151079, or just something that looks nice and flexible like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101355

Anyway; here's the way things stand at the moment

DSC02420.jpg

As soon as I get this cable issue ironed-out, I can close 'er up and see what my DBs are like with those stock fans. Thanks.

CD