Should Parity drive be larger?

twitami

A few people have reported this problem as you are aware. I started my array off with a 400 GB parity and then 2 300GB drives. I have since added 3 more 400GB drives with zero problem in regard to the parity size problem. My huge thread had a few things go wrong, but none of it is related to the unRAID OS, but all to do with hardware issues  ;D

So I have seen some posts about te Parity drive "shrinking" when using all the same size drives. Would using a larger drive for the firat slot be a good idea, or is this not a problem anymore?

My initial  array was a pair of identical 500Gig drives. I did not run into the issue you are describing.

I've only read of it happening to two  people.  I think Tom was recently working with one of them to try to isolate the cause. 

Who knows, it might be a subtle bug that only happens when the routine that initially  calculates disk size "rounds" the number of bytes/cylinders/tracks/blocks (whatever Tom is comparing) differently than the one that later checks it when you add a subsequent drive.

Joe L.