How to copy between unraid servers

I can't seem to find a simple clear explaination of this, so I am starting a new thread about it. (please forgive me if there are in fact threads about this, I searched but could not find).

I have two unraid servers. UNRAID1 has all the data on it. UNRAID2 has nothing on it (new build, just precleared drives).

I need to copy a couple of the shares from UNRAID1 to UNRAID2 and would like to not do it with a client in between.

I came across this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=18799.0

for mounting one server on the other and using midnight commander, however I don't fully understand it, and would like to mount it as NFS for potential speed gain (I have about 6TB to transfer).

If someone could please explain how to properly mount the one server to the other, I would greatly appreciate it. I also have no idea how to use MC, but I can look into that while I wait.

Running unraid 4.7 on one (UNRAID2) and unraid 5.0RC6? (most recent) on the other (UNRAID1).

Thanks.

Update: not solved, see last post...

I think rsync might work well for you.

Command is:

rsync options source destination

So from the command line of one system, something like:

rsync -avz /mnt/disk1 [email protected]:/mnt/disk1

tried that with user shares and ran into this:

Linux 3.0.35-unRAID.

root@Tower:~# rsync -avz /mnt/user/Data [email protected]:/mnt/user/Data

rsync: Failed to exec ssh: No such file or directory (2)

rsync error: error in IPC code (code 14) at pipe.c(84) [sender=3.0.7]

rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]: Broken pipe (32)

rsync error: error in IPC code (code 14) at io.c(1530) [sender=3.0.7]

root@Tower:~#

so yeah, obviously I am not 100% awake yet. I had gone through installing SSL and SSH on one of the servers when I set it up, but didn't on the other. Did that through unmenu and all is good. I am, however only getting about 10MB/s

EDIT:

did a little more digging and found some posts that I did not before (with thanks for lainie for mentioning rsync). I followed teamhood's instructions on this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13432.15

with the only changes being that I was going to user shares and not disks. Had the -z option in there to start and was still getting 10MB/s, took that out and I am going along at about 35-40MB/s right now. So that should take me about a day and a half to transfer everything over. Not bad!

Yes, that is the information that I used.

I have however run into a problem.

This is the command that I was using:

rsync -av --stats --progress /mnt/user/TV rsync://192.168.1.70/mnt/user/TV

What has happened is that it was just filling up one hard drive. It has run out of space, and thus failed without finishing the sync. Any suggestions to solve this? For the time being I can just transfer the rest of this user share to another disk via drag and drop, but I have another 4TB to copy over and this is going to happen again halfway through that.

EDIT: Via drag and drop through a client computer, I can get about the same transfer speed (one mounted via AFP (source), the other via SMB (destination)).

There is an rsync option to delete files from the destination before copying starts...

I think you may have misunderstood.

It is just copying to disk1, and once disk1 was full, to rsync failed to continue (ie out of space), rather than distributing the files over the array (user share).

rsync does not play well with user shares.

rsync creates the complete directory structure on the destonation disk before copying any files over

This typically results in everything being copied ending up on the one disk where the directory structure was initially created and that disk filling up.

It is safer to use disk shares with rsync.