Cannot copy ... : The specified network name is not longer available

This old bug is still around in 5.0-rc6-r8168-test. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1021.0. Teracopy fails randomly with this error while copying files from Windows 7 to the array when the unRAID disks are exported using samba and mounted in Windows.

Over the last week, my server has been upgraded from 4.5.4 to 4.7 then 5.0-rc6-r8168-test, with parity checks before/after each step. HPA's were removed to enable the OS upgrades and one drive was replaced with a bigger one. I wiped my flash before putting 5.0-rc6-r6168-test on it. SimpleFeatures is installed. Otherwise, this is a vanilla upgrade. No user shares, no users other than root.

The embedded network controller is identified as "eth0: Identified chip type is 'RTL8168C/8111C'". Don't know if this chipset is subject to the problems that r8168 is meant to work around. There are no eth0: messages after start-up, when the network "disappears" during copies.

I was going to try to see if this was just a samba problem by turning on NFS but I can't find any instructions for doing this with the new webgui. I enabled NFS in Settings and exported one disk but I can't mount it from Windows 7. Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. I have no qualms using NFS if this problem goes away and it performs.

C:\>mount \\tower\disk1 x:

Network Error - 53 (The network path was not found)

Thanks,

- Eric

log.txt

i've had this experience as well from time to time.

although it isn't a fix, i've found that immediately after teracopy gives the error and completes it's 60 second retry, i can try again with success.

don't know if it's a chipset problem or not, but i've noticed that this usually happens on drives that are more "full" than others.

From my testing the only thing I noticed was, if you are overwriting an existing file it will work, if you are writing the file as a stream ie via a transcoding software that builds the file to it's completion it works and if you are copying a file into a folder with no other files it works.  I found that once you start writing to a folder with around 15 or more files it starts to fail.

What size files do you have the error with??

I ended up just going with a cache drive to eliminate the issue.