Missing data in user/disk shares, yet drive is half full? [unRAID 5.0-beta-14]

Rajahal

Hello all,

We're helping a customer who is having an odd issue with his server: data seems to be missing from his disk and user shares. disk6 appears empty when viewed as a disk share, yet the unRAID disk stats report it as half full:

PEmjO.jpg

'Show hidden files and folders' is enabled. We checked for any incorrect share configurations, but found nothing. All user shares are configured normally, and there's no user share named 'disk6' or anything funny like that. The customer specifically cited an individual file that went missing, an episode of the show Burn Notice. When I connected to his TV user share, I could access all folders except for 'Burn Notice'. When accessing that particular folder, I received a 'permission denied' error. We checked the permissions across the server, and on disk6 in particular, and all seem to be normal (see the screenshots below).

We then suspected file system corruption, and it appears that we may be right about that. We tried the standard reiserfsck (instructions here), which reported a missing superblock. We then tried to rebuild the superblock (using the exact settings documented here), followed by another reiserfsck as instructed. The second reiserfsck reported the same error: missing superblock. Here's the transcript of the entire session, first checking permissions, then running the reiserfsck, superblock rebuild, then final reiserfsck:

bRr7E.png

4NB1f.png

hIEfi.png

This server is running unRAID 5.0-beta-14, and the problem disks are 3 TB Seagate Barracuda XT ST33000651AS. Here is a thread dedicated to issues with this particular model of drive and unRAID betas. In this post Joe L. recommends upgrading to unRAID 5.0rc6-test2. We believe that this may be the next step, but are hesitant to suggest an unRAID OS upgrade when a potentially corrupted file system is present.

Full syslog attached (wrapped due to error logging, unfortunately missing the boot info).

Your thoughts?

Thank you kindly.

- Stephen (Rajahal) & Kyle (prostuff1)

syslog-2012-31-8.zip

Archived