Upgrade from 4.7 to 5.0-RC8

All;

I am currently upgrading my unraid from 4.7 to 5.0-RC8.  Because I am using the free version for now, I have the flexibility to actually install RC8 on to a spare 4GB USB stick, shutdown the the 4.7 server (set it aside) and start using the RC8 usb disk.

I made notes of how everything is assigned.  I took pictures and printed PDF's of all configuration pages I would need to make the conversion successfully.  After that I shutdown the 4.7 USB stick, removed it and inserted the 5.0-RC8 and booted it.

First, I assigned my IP address and named the server.  then I went to the main page and examined the results.  Of course they were blank, so using the PDF's I had saved, I assinged each drive to the proper slot.  As I assigned the drive to the correct slot, a Blue Ball appeared.

After I had all 3 blue balls, I then started the array.  I am having it check parity, just as a safety factor, and its running right now.  Last Parity check was back in July.  The server up to this point has been rock solid, so I am not expecting any problems here.

After the parity check started I then moved to the UTILS tab and started the new permissions process.  As I write this, it looks like it has completed that process.  I expected it to run slower  after all it tells me "It will take a long time" but it ran about 15-20 min and the uptime on the server is 29 minutes at this point.

Drive 1 and Drive 2 are both GREEN with the Parity now Gold.

Next, I am moving on to the shares, Since I have to set all of those back up.  I will report back when that has been completed.

Well, I just checked the shares tab, and everything was as it was suppose to be.  Surprised the heck out of me, but was extremely pleased I did not have to re-setup the shares.

Well this looks like its working ok, as I accessed all the shares, all my files came up and all looks like just before I started the upgrade.  I played a movie, and it played just like it did before the upgrade.  Everything seems normal at this point

Using this method was by far the easiest upgrade I have in quite a while.

Any thing else I might need to do before I "Sign off" on the upgrade as complete and successful?

Please examine the image below:

screenhunter06sep291815.jpg

Shouldn't the information in the red box be placed under Array Status instead of off to the left like it is now.  I thought this might be from using Firefox, but this minor problem also shows up in IE as well as Firefox.

Since we are getting really close to a final release, this should be addressed in the next RC release.  This is really minor and not as important as fixing array bugs or hardware compatibility I know, but attention to detail is important and this is a really simple fix to make.

Sincerely,

Sideband Samurai

All;

I have gone into settings and Identification.

I have assigned the name DavyJones to the media server, yet when I look at the command prompt, it still tells me "root@Tower:" as well as when I view my system log it still shows "Tower" as the host name.  I am quite certain that I have rebooted the media server since I re-assigned the name, and will reboot it again, after Parity rebuild has completed. This use to not be this way with 4.7.

Is this a problem?  How can it be corrected?

Sincerely,

Sideband Samurai

Rebuild of parity was successful, a check of parity was successful.  My upgrade has successfully completed.  It looks like I am seeing an improvement of network speed of about 10MB a sec.  I was running between 19 and 21mb/s now I see between 29 and 35mb/s when writing to the array with out a cache drive.  For me that's a big improvement.

Sideband Samurai

Archived