Will this Supermicro card work? AOC-SAS2LP-MV8

Yes. I have one in my Supermicro X9SCM board, running unraid v5.0-rc5, with 7x 4TB disks attached to it.

How is your performance? I'm trying to squeeze as much as I can out of my system. The problem is the SATA ports on my motherboard are only 3Gb. So, if I install a 6Gb add on card half the drives will be 3Gb and half will be 6Gb. The only REAL viable option to increase performance is to find a mainboard that has  6 SATA ports on it running at 6Gb. Ok, it might be time for a mainboard upgrade. It has been a while!

You won't notice any speed increase with harddisks ;) maybe with an SSD. Harddisks are not fast enough to saturate even a 3Gb/s interface. My experience is that fast cpu does more for throughput and responsiveness on unraid...

My parity check runs only at 65MB/sec and I'm running all pretty good hardware. I have no idea on why the parity check is so slow, that's why I'm trying to speed my system up.

Ah ok... my parity check runs at 100MB/s. Intel i3 @ 2.6GHz, 7200rpm 4TB disks. But i had those parity/check speeds on my former mainboard as well (X7SPA). That one had a x4 PCI slot (this one is a x8), so the SAS2LP ran at 3GB/s. Copy and transfer speeds on the other hands is much better with this board.

I did think the faster mainbord and CPU and more RAM would bring great speed improvements.

That was true when i had only the 5 4TB hdd's connected.

Now i have a mix from 1,0 1.5 2.0 and 4 TB hdd's and the parity check is much slower in the start. but improves above 1.0 TB, again above 2.0 TB and is the fastest above 2.0 TB position.

So it depends also on the number and type of hdds you connect i think.

I have more issues with the copy speed which drops to slow speed sometimes which causes me bad feelings on this hardware Supermicro X9SCM / AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 (opened a thread on it)

Also it does not play nice with a Areca 1200 raid card.

Archived