AHCI performance increase

c234rmf

Anyone have a UnRaidbenchmark with AHCI enabled and disabled (preferably with parity disk)? 

I have a new motherboard and I am thinking of switching my system over to the new motherboard with AHCI. 

The only advantage is the new motherboard has AHCI and I am wondering if changing is worth the hassle.

Thanks

I wouldn't swap hardware for AHCI.  If it meant getting 4+ drives of of the PCI bus and onto the PCIe, then maybe I'd welcome the idea.  AHCI is not going to give you any kind of performance increase worth buying new hardware for by itself.

I recently switched my SATA configuration from IDE to AHCI (Asus P5B VM DO).  The parity check performance went down by about 1,500 k/sec.  I was assuming that under normal multi-threaded use, that the NCQ would pay dividends so did not switch it back. 

Do not expect much if any performance improvement going to AHCI.

I have never had any performance problems with my array.  In fact, last night I was copying backups to it from 2 computers at the same time, while watching a movie from a third.  Not even the slightest glitch.

Archived