Best way to sync / backup / share files on unraid

chuga

Hi,

I am looking for advice on the best way to configure files on unraid to share with multiple computers on a home network (running windows 7).

Pictures

Currently I store pictures on my computer's "C" drive and you synctoy to backup to my "E" drive and also to a pictures folder on the unraid server.  So there are 3 copies of my pictures....two on one computer and the third on unraid.  I would like to make it convenient for other computers on my network to access/view pictures.  Should I map a drive to the unraid pictures folder on each computer?  or do I add the unraid pictures folder as a pictures library in widows 7? or just make the pictures folder "location" the unraid pictures folder?  If I then used the unraid pictures folder as the "working folder" is the best way to have a backup to use synctoy in the other direction ? (sync from unraid to my computer). 

Movies

No issues really...I stream to a HTPC and a netgear with no problem.  I am currently converting all of my Video_TS to mkv so I can start streaming to ipod.  My only question would be is the best way to stream via plex, subsonic, or airvideo?

Music

Just using unraid as a backup right now for my computer (using synctoy).  I would like to use the unraid music folder and be able to stream - plex? SimpleFeatures itunes server? subsonic?  other ?

I think there are many ways to do this, just looking for pros/cons of each and recommendation.  Also, I know unraid is not meant to be a true backup to files.  I sync copies to hard drives in other computers and occasionally burn to DVDs.

thanks for the help,

Archived