Did I just delete everything?

So I had a perfectly working 12 drive UnRAID unit in parity.

I stopped the array. I removed my 11th disk from the array (there wasn't anything written to it) and turned it into a cache drive.

I then restarted the array and have been using the unit just fine.

I asked a question on the forums about how to properly re-establish parity (I just wanted my disk 11 to no longer be used in the array and instead only as a cache disk) and I was told to stop the array, go into utils and then select new config. I was under then impression this wouldn't destroy the contents on my disks and would keep my current setup (parity, disk 1-10 and cache) and just remove disk 11 (which was read as missing) from the array setup.

When I clicked new config now all my disks are unselected, all my shares are gone.

I'm pretty much screwed right? I had a ton of stuff stored on those drives... I haven't done anything at this point. I haven't started the array or added disks back into the array.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pretty sure you're not screwed.

This is normal behavior when 'new config' was clicked. or 'initconfig' was run.

I think all you need to do is reassign them and start the array.

at least this is my understanding. don't do anything yet until someone else confirms this.

i know you're probably freaking out now so i thought i'd comment something real quick lol

party of my worry is that I don't remember which drives I had where (like which was my parity drive, which was 1-10 and which was my cache).

oh.. yea you have to assign the right drive for the parity drive, and the right drive for the cache..

other drives shouldn't really matter..

hopefully someone will be able to help you better than me.

The parity drive can be determined by assigning all drives the data slots. Start the array. DO NOT click anything else yet. Take note of the drive reported as unformatted. Only 1 drive should appear unformatted. Try to determine which drive is the cache drive by examining the contents of the other disks. Stop the array. Assign the the unformatted drive to the parity slot and cache drive to the cache slot. Assign the remaining disks to data slots as desired. Start the array.

Your data is safe... its not erased.

you just need to find the parity drive and then re-create the array. then recreate the shares.. (technically, a reboot will create the shares with out any settings or permissions)

the parity drive is the one listed as unformatted.

If you accidentally assign a data drive as parity and start the array... you will lose that disks data.. take your time. dont rush.

Your data is safe... its not erased.

you just need to find the parity drive and then re-create the array. then recreate the shares.. (technically, a reboot will create the shares with out any settings or permissions)

the parity drive is the one listed as unformatted.

If you accidentally assign a data drive as parity and start the array... you will lose that disks data.. take your time. dont rush.

Is there any info in the config files on the flash drive that houses any of the info of which drive i was using as the cache drive (I'll just look for the unformatted drive for the parity one). The other drives I can just add to any disk correct and everything will be ok?

When I've added all the drives I just start the array like I normally would correct?

Archived