[SOLVED] Unable to connect to share

Hello there.  It seems as though I have broken something on my unRAID box :(

I am running 4.7 and decided it was time to upgrade to 5.0rc10 so that I could migrate in the 2x 3tb drives I have sitting behind me.

When I upgraded my stick to 5.0rc10 unRAID fired up fine, but gave me an error on sdc (hpa error I believe)

Not wanting to deal with that issue last night, I proceeded to revert the usb key back to a 4.7 backup I just just made only an hour before.

Now, the server starts up like normal, I can log into it from telnet + browser(//tower) but I cannot access the share from any of the PC's on my network.

I see it in my list of available network PC's but cannot connect to it, it's like I broke the share somehow and I don't know what I did or how to fix it.

To sum it up, I can access the server itself, but I cannot access my files.

If I missed any information you need please let me know and I will gladly fill in what I can.

Syslog attached.

Thanks in advance(hopefully im just missing something !)

syslog-2013-01-16.txt

The array is started, I can see /flash, but only from the webgui, not from the " share " in my network tab.

- Odd, I just rebooted my PC again and now it is allowing me to see the share.  It also has retured on all the other PC's in my house.

Although this makes me a very happy camper, any ideas what could have caused this?  Did anything look strange in my syslog ?

I'm so sorry to have bothered you but am very thankful it is working again.

Going to reboot the server to make sure it isnt a fluke !

Will report back.

Cheers.

Server seems to have rebooted with no issues  :o

I have no idea what could have caused the issue, but am now feeling like " if it aint broke, don't fix it " lol

I do however want to move up to 5.0 but now i'm scared !

Thanks for all the views and thanks Frank for your replies, appreciated.

The array is started, I can see /flash, but only from the webgui, not from the " share " in my network tab.

- Odd, I just rebooted my PC again and now it is allowing me to see the share.  It also has retured on all the other PC's in my house.

Although this makes me a very happy camper, any ideas what could have caused this?  Did anything look strange in my syslog ?

I'm so sorry to have bothered you but am very thankful it is working again.

Going to reboot the server to make sure it isnt a fluke !

Will report back.

Cheers.

Problem is most likely that the unRAID server hadn't gotten properly registered with the 'Local Master' for the Microsoft Network.  (The Local Master is like a DNS server for all of the computers in the workgroup of the peer-to-peer networking scheme that Microsoft uses.)  It works right most of the time but when it doesn't, you can pound your head against the wall and turn the air blue with colorful language.  Often, the solution seems more like witchcraft than science...

If you haven't done so already, you should allow your unRAID server to become the Local Master as it will probably  be on more than the rest of your computers.  On Ver5, the option is on  the SMB setup page. 

Some sites refer to this as the "Master Browser"  service

(having nothing to do with browsing the internet, but the service on your lan that communicates to other PCs where various shares are located on your lan.)  It typically only scans the LAN every 15 minutes or so... therefore a new "share" does not always show up immediately.  The various PCs on your LAN negotiate for wo will be the Master-Browser.  It is very possible for it to end up being a PC that is not always turned on, and therefore is very erratic in detecting new shares.

Thanks so much guys, it's appreciated, really.  I will keep that in mind the next time I try to upgrade the server and try not to panic as much as I was :P

I'm currently rebuilding disk2 after getting rid of the HPA via hdparm.

Plan is to rebuild, run parity - allow parity to repair, run parity again to make sure its clean, then do the same with disk1(there was no error, but I know hpa is in there as well)

Then move onto 5.0rc10 !

Thanks again guys !

Archived