Bitcasa Integration With unRAID

Keevil

Hello,

Has anyone looked at integrating Bitcasa with unRAID? I have just purchased there plan and i was wondering if anyone else has purchased Bitcasa and have been able to integrarte it with unRAID.

Many Thanks

Their Linux download page says "Currently available for Ubuntu 12.04+" and its an alpha release.

Since unRAID is Slackware Linux and people already have Dropbox, Crashplan, Owncloud, maybe others already working with their unRAID I will be surprised if there is much interest.

I'm not sure Bitcasa is designed to be used with a storage server. I had a play with the Beta on my desktop and they make a big deal of being able to "stream" files from their "infinite" storage. They try to second guess your usage (if I've understood it correctly) and move infrequently accessed files to the cloud leaving a copy of working files on your system.

I think the CrashPlan model suits unRaid users more than Bitcasa but happy to be proved wrong :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 months later...

Sorry for digging up this thread, but I'd also love to see this.

I'm a Bitcasa user and can see this integrating well by keeping certain shares/folders/drives "mirrored" on Bitcasa.

eg. Not looking at mirroring my media, but would be great to mirror any personal/private/important documents to provide an off-site backup and revision history.

Related: http://blog.bitcasa.com/2013/04/27/a-note-to-linux-users/

And to answer a question...

I'm not sure Bitcasa is designed to be used with a storage server. I had a play with the Beta on my desktop and they make a big deal of being able to "stream" files from their "infinite" storage. They try to second guess your usage (if I've understood it correctly) and move infrequently accessed files to the cloud leaving a copy of working files on your system.

(...)

You're kind of right. The way I understand it, ALL files are on the cloud (primary location), but frequently accessed files (per client) are stored in local cache (automatically managed by Bitcasa client). Hope this helps.

Omid.

• 4 months later...

Yes i would like to see some kind of pluging for bitcasa too. Then i can mirror my data to bitcasa. so incase my server is off. i still be able to get to the data on bitcasa.

Crashplan is not suitable for getting always acces to your data. Crashplan is more for backup and restoring insted of a direct mount to your cloud data like bitcasa has.

• 2 months later...

Yes, but once you have an account you can keep that price for current customers.

And to get acces to the linux client you can also change you plan for the same price to a 5TB account.

That should be enough for me i guess. Since i only want to upload my movies and series.

Besides that i use crashplan for backup.

But i use bitcasa more for streaming directly from the internet if my unraid server at home is off.

So anyone knows how to make a plugin for it is welcome :)