Can't access TOWER unless I spin up the drives

Hi,

I'm having an issue where I can't access my server through Windows Explorer. This seems to happen after the server has been left idle for a few hours/days. I get is the "cannot find TOWER" (something like that) error via Windows Explorer.

The funny thing is that I can still play everything from the server via XBMC but cant access through Windows Explorer until I spin up the drives via Simple Features. Even after something has played I cant access through WE. This happens on both my PC's hard wired running Windows 7/8.

Also, the TOWER does appear in the NETWORK via WE but I get the message when I select it to view the folders.

I'm running v5 RC8a with Simple Features.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Anyone? I did some more testing and it seems that I can always connect via my laptop running windows 7 pro (via wifi if that makes a difference). All other computers are hard wired. My pc running 7 home and HTPC running 8 pro still have the issue of not being able to connect to the tower through Expkorer.

As I said earlier, I can still play my media through xbmc even when the same computer cannot connect to the tower via win explorer. Again, the tower appears in the network but I can't select it to see the files unless I spin up the drives.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Hi panter

Do you mean via Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer?

I can connect via the IP address in any browser even when I cannot connect to the TOWER via Windows Explorer from the same computer. That's how I spin up the drives and enable the connection via Windows Explorer to work.

Basically all my browsers connect as does XBMC but after some time, I cannot connect to the TOWER via Windows Explorer. The browsers and XBMC will continue to connect fine all the time.

I dont know how to force this issue to happen. And its weird that my laptop continues to connect when other computers on my network cannot (via Winodws Explorer)

OK, thanks panter.

I'll take a look. I assume the netbios name = TOWER (or the name of your Unraid server) in my case. Ill try the IP address in Windows Explorer. It still doesnt explain why I need to spin up my drives for Windows Explorer to see them.

Thanks for the reply, il check when I get home and get back.