experience/results of using inotifywatch

I'm currently running v5 rc11 (which included the updated samba 3.6.10.  After this update, my hard drives do not spin down, even though they are set to spin down after 3 hours of no use.  After using the fuser command, I learned that it was the smb deamon keeping the drives busy, thus not allowing them to spin down.  I did not have this issue with samba 3.6.8 (pre rc11).

I have a windows 7 64bit pc that I use to connect to my shares.  Nothing has changed on my pc side for over a year.

For troubleshooting, I have turned off all other clients, mac, ipad, iphone, popcorn hour, Roku, yet the drives remain busy.  This makes me think it's my windows 7 machine.  Another reason I think it's my windows machine is because I connect to my unraid via smb shares. My windows machine stays on 24x7.

Joe L. sugggested that give inotifywatch a try to see if I can confirm which client is keeping the server busy and why (see the disk access to identify what is being accessed).  I have never used inotify-tools, so I'm looking for some advice on how to use this tool to obtain the information I need.

Given nothing has changed on my windows machine, this points to a change on my unraid server.  I'm also using Simple Features, which does need to be updated.  I just am not sure if that is related to the issue or not.  I've had SF running for several months with no issues as well.  After posting questions in the rc11 thread, I was directed here for help.

I have this version, but haven't installed it yet,

http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware-14.0/slackware/a/inotify-tools-3.14-i486-1.txz

Thanks!

I'm currently running v5 rc11 (which included the updated samba 3.6.10.  After this update, my hard drives do not spin down, even though they are set to spin down after 3 hours of no use.  After using the fuser command, I learned that it was the smb deamon keeping the drives busy, thus not allowing them to spin down.  I did not have this issue with samba 3.6.8 (pre rc11).

I have a windows 7 64bit pc that I use to connect to my shares.  Nothing has changed on my pc side for over a year.

For troubleshooting, I have turned off all other clients, mac, ipad, iphone, popcorn hour, Roku, yet the drives remain busy.  This makes me think it's my windows 7 machine.  Another reason I think it's my windows machine is because I connect to my unraid via smb shares. My windows machine stays on 24x7.

Joe L. sugggested that give inotifywatch a try to see if I can confirm which client is keeping the server busy and why (see the disk access to identify what is being accessed).  I have never used inotify-tools, so I'm looking for some advice on how to use this tool to obtain the information I need.

Given nothing has changed on my windows machine, this points to a change on my unraid server.  I'm also using Simple Features, which does need to be updated.  I just am not sure if that is related to the issue or not.  I've had SF running for several months with no issues as well.  After posting questions in the rc11 thread, I was directed here for help.

I have this version, but haven't installed it yet,

http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware-14.0/slackware/a/inotify-tools-3.14-i486-1.txz

Thanks!

Download the package by logging in via telnet and typing:

mkdir -p /boot/packages

cd /boot/packages

wget  http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware-14.0/slackware/a/inotify-tools-3.14-i486-1.txz

It will download to /boot/packages

To install it, type:

installpkg /boot/packages/inotify-tools-3.14-i486-1.txz

To track activity under /mnt/user  (all the user-shares), type:

inotifywait -mr /mnt/user

To track activity on a specific disk (/mnt/disk1), type:

inotifywait -mr /mnt/disk1

If you have a lot of files under /mnt/user you might need to increase the "default" number of files watched by typing:

echo "100000" >/proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches

It will tell you if an increase is necessary when you first invoke it.

inotify-tools home: http://inotify-tools.sourceforge.net/

For more information see the inotifywait and inotifywatch man pages.