X9SCM-O Any reason not to buy?

I am looking at buying the x9scm-o and was able to find a good deal on it. I was originally planning on purchasing the -f model but the price difference is $50. Is IPMI really worth the extra cash? I recently purchased a -f model and have never used the IPMI feature on it. When I first got the board I just plugged in a monitor changed a few settings in the BIOS and then disconnected the monitor. I don't care about virtualization or any of that. I am only looking to use this for UnRaid and will probably use telnet and simple features for administration. Thoughts?

Well, if you're not going to use IPMI, then don't pay for it.  :)

Personally, I just setup my first server this week with IPMI and I'll never go back.  It's awesome.  I'm running ESXi though and have unRAID running in a VM.  It's very cool to run headless.  I would pay $100 more just for this feature, but I am using it. 

Even if I was using it just for unRAID, I would still use IPMI.  For example, I always preclear from the console, using different TTY windows when running more than one at a time.  That works great over IPMI.

I run preclear currently through telnet using multiple windows. If I did it through the console using IPMI I would assume I still need to leave it open in my browser?

no, you can close and reconnect as you wish...the session on the host is not affected.

Edit: but you can only have a single graphics session, since the host has only one GPU...you can use/switch terminals in Linux (ALT-Fn) though, if enabled.

pricing for the -f model varies a lot...i've seen ranges from 5 to 50EUR here on my side of the pond.

One of the best features I like is the remote ISO mount...you don't need a dedicated optical drive in your host....you can even boot from a remote ISO that way....very handy.

Well that would be somewhat helpful. I am not in a gigantic hurry to purchase, as I have a number of other parts to pick up as well, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to just wait and see if a sale or open box happens on the -f model. I may have to try out some of the IPMI features on the one I currently have and see if I end up using it frequently.

I run preclear currently through telnet using multiple windows. If I did it through the console using IPMI I would assume I still need to leave it open in my browser?

Just use screen:-

screen

preclear_disk.sh -A -c 3 /dev/null

Ctrl+a

d

Boom, you can now close telnet and you'll be able to continue preclearing

Well that would be somewhat helpful. I am not in a gigantic hurry to purchase, as I have a number of other parts to pick up as well, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to just wait and see if a sale or open box happens on the -f model. I may have to try out some of the IPMI features on the one I currently have and see if I end up using it frequently.

...another option to save some money is to go for the bulk version.

The "-O" indicates the retail version...with manual booklet, driver CD, 2-4 sata cables, floppy cable and a supermicro cardboard box....things you might already have or do not need (manual available online).

Both, bulk and retail come with the rear panel/bracket to fit into your case and this, besides the mobo itself, are IMHO the only specific parts you need to buy.

Just use screen:-

screen

preclear_disk.sh -A -c 3 /dev/null

Ctrl+a

d

Boom, you can now close telnet and you'll be able to continue preclearing

...definitely a good option when using unRAID.

Here's the link to the tutorial from the wiki for more detail: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Configuration_Tutorial#Preclearing_With_Screen

I am looking at buying the x9scm-o and was able to find a good deal on it. I was originally planning on purchasing the -f model but the price difference is $50. Is IPMI really worth the extra cash? I recently purchased a -f model and have never used the IPMI feature on it. When I first got the board I just plugged in a monitor changed a few settings in the BIOS and then disconnected the monitor. I don't care about virtualization or any of that. I am only looking to use this for UnRaid and will probably use telnet and simple features for administration. Thoughts?

Here's a good reason:

You can get the X9SCM-F-O for $149.99 after MIR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182253&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL030713&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL030713-_-EMC-030713-Index-_-ServerMotherboards-_-13182253-L024D

Promo code: EMCXTXN89

Good thru 3/13/2013

Just came out this morning.

So I am looking for a CPU for this board and am wondering if there would be any reason to not use an Intel Pentium? Iddon't do any transcoding and run minimal plugins, simple features, mysql,cache dirs, and apcups. That's it though. One of my servers has a Xeon but only because I had an extra one laying around. Would I be better off with an i3?

...an i3 will offer HT.....if you can get the i3 for a few bucks more, why not but for your use case IMHO a Pentium G will do the job just fine.

Both CPUs will idle at the same low rate....IvyBridge will idle lower than a Sandy...TDP will most likely not be the key here.

I don't own that board but as with former XEON chipsets, it will require ECC memory (UDIMM) regardless, I think.

Will all models of PentiumG and i3 support that? I don't know....make sure you check before pulling the trigger

The price difference between the Pentium and i3 is $50 give or take. I already picked up the same ram I have in my other server so I know that is good, but I will have to look into whether the processor will matter for using ECC. I always thought that was a board specific thing and not processor specific.

I just ordered a Pentium G2020 Ivy Bridge 55W 3M cache 2.9ghz. I verified on intel's website that it supports ECC ram. Only thing left is to order 2-3 more drives and a power supply. Now I just need the hx650 to get a nice price drop again. I ordered my last one for $69 so I am hoping it drops down again.

• 5 months later...

Hello.

I actually just registered to beeing able to post here.

mobias123: Thing is I actually have a G2020 processor and I'm considering buying the X9SCM-F board. I wanted to ask you about compatibility, since I haven't been able to confirm it elsewhere. I would highly appreciate if you could share your experience with those two components together.

Thanks in advance!!!

So long as you have the latest bios the g2020 will work just fine. I have been very pleased overall with the setup. It has low power consumption and stays cool. The only potential downside is that I don't personally feel the g2020 is a goodcCPU if you are going to use plex or anything processor intensive. This is a personal opinion and others have said it should be fine.

The board however has been rock solid for me. No issues at all.

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm gonna buy it then, if the processor runs short it's no big  deal, i will be able to upgrade in the future. But since it is what I have I might as well try it. I think all of those boards are shipping with the 2.0 BIOS if I'm not mistaken, so I should be fine, if not I don't know what the hell I would do since I'm buying the board in another country.

Well, thanks a lot man.