[SOLVED] Simple preclear_disk question

Hi,

Just a simple preclear question.  I'm preclearing 2 brand new 3TB Western Digital hard drives (WD30EFRX).  During the "zeroing" of the entire drive (second step, if I recall correctly), there are some stats for "records in" and "records out".  It looks like this : 012345+0 records in.  What's the meaning of the number after the + sign.  Bad sector?  Reading/Writing Error?  The preclear is not done yet (6~7 hours remaining...) and it tickles me to know since on both drives, these values were not zero when I went to bed.  I have precleared 3 of these drives in the past and I can't recall if these numbers were zero or not but all 3 are working fine.  Can you please enlighten me on the subject?

Any help is greatly appreciated while I'm waiting for the preclear to end.

Thank you very much for your time

Draven

Edit on 2013-04-17 15:42 : Marked as [sOLVED]

Hi,

Just a simple preclear question.  I'm preclearing 2 brand new 3TB Western Digital hard drives (WD30EFRX).  During the "zeroing" of the entire drive (second step, if I recall correctly), there are some stats for "records in" and "records out".  It looks like this : 012345+0 records in.  What's the meaning of the number after the + sign.  Bad sector?  Reading/Writing Error?  The preclear is not done yet (6~7 hours remaining...) and it tickles me to know since on both drives, these values were not zero when I went to bed.  I have precleared 3 of these drives in the past and I can't recall if these numbers were zero or not but all 3 are working fine.  Can you please enlighten me on the subject?

Any help is greatly appreciated while I'm waiting for the preclear to end.

Thank you very much for your time

Draven

Those numbers are the output of the "dd" command.  I never really took notice of the number after the "+" sign, but I suspect it is partial records of data.

You might look in the "dd" manual page for more details.  (but I think it is not likely to give more detail... if you are really interested, your best bet might be to RTS.  (read the source))

Hi,

First, thank you for the very fast reply.  Ok, so, if I understand well, this is not really the sign of any errors?  As long as the preclear script give me a positive result, I don't have to take these data too seriously.  Am I correct?  Sorry for being a little paranoid but I don't want to use a bad drive in my array.  If I need to RMA it, I prefer to know right now.  Prevention is better than cure.

Thank you for your time.

Draven

Hi,

First, thank you for the very fast reply.  Ok, so, if I understand well, this is not really the sign of any errors?  As long as the preclear script give me a positive result, I don't have to take these data too seriously.  Am I correct?  Sorry for being a little paranoid but I don't want to use a bad drive in my array.  If I need to RMA it, I prefer to know right now.  Prevention is better than cure.

Thank you for your time.

Draven

It's just the output from the dd command, ignore it. It looks like this, right?

0+14 records in
0+14 records out
204 bytes (204 B) copied, 24.92 seconds, 0.0 kB/s

Hi,

Again, thank you all for your replys.  Yes Automatic, it looks exactly like your little snippet.  I'm at ~70% on both drives so for now, I'll wait for the preclear to end and I'll see after that but if the preclear script give me successful results, I'll probably just ignore it.  So, I'll just wait and see.

Thank you for your time.

Draven

Maybe I was just a little too paranoid.

The DD output isn't negative, nor is it positive. It's like me counting apples in a basket and saying "One, two, three, four, five, six", it doesn't mean all of the fruit is moldy nor does it mean they're going to be the best apple you've tasted in years, it's just a status.

Yes, I know my similes are terrible.