Hardware is being delivered today!!!........Now What?!?

Lunatic

ilovejedd,

I am on a 100mbps network (actually using a modem/router from my ISP provider) and I was copying files ranging from a few Kb to 2 Gb in size. Any suggestions?

Then those transfer speeds are fine. I guess I forgot to mention that I was on a gigabit network. Maximum throughput you can get on fast ethernet is 12.5MB/s. If you add overhead and take into account that samba isn't really the most efficient protocol there is, 8.5MB/s is normal.

Just curious, which drive did you return?  Did you run a SMART test on the drive with serial ending in W1H?

Forgot to respond earlier, but Brian did.  Couple of other comments to add:

As you indicated, Tray 2 and Mobo connector #1 do look suspicious.  The parity drive (serial ending in 0GT) and Mobo connectors #0, #2, and #5, and Trays 1, 3, and 6 all looked fine, at least from the preliminary testing you did.

The parity sync was not a good test for isolating which drive was producing the clicks, because it works both drives.  A better test would have been one that only read from or wrote to a single drive.  One quick way would be the hdparm speed test:  hdparm -tT /dev/sda and hdparm -tT /dev/sdb.  It might be too quick to produce clicks though.

Just curious, which drive did you return?  Did you run a SMART test on the drive with serial ending in W1H?

Forgot to respond earlier, but Brian did.  Couple of other comments to add:

As you indicated, Tray 2 and Mobo connector #1 do look suspicious.  The parity drive (serial ending in 0GT) and Mobo connectors #0, #2, and #5, and Trays 1, 3, and 6 all looked fine, at least from the preliminary testing you did.

The parity sync was not a good test for isolating which drive was producing the clicks, because it works both drives.  A better test would have been one that only read from or wrote to a single drive.  One quick way would be the hdparm speed test:  hdparm -tT /dev/sda and hdparm -tT /dev/sdb.  It might be too quick to produce clicks though.

Rob,

I returned the one ending in W1H. I had no problem telling which one was clicking as I isolated them by spacing them out on non adjacent trays and I also tried one at a time. W1H would click as soon as I booted the machine.

As for connector #1 on mobo, I currently plugged drive 0GT to it and copied 420 Gb of data to it yesterday. There were no weird noises or errors. It only finished copying this morning, and I would like to test it tonight to make sure the data is ok. Any suggestions?

As for when I receive the other drive, I will add it as Parity and see how it goes...

Yay...I have Parity!!!

I got my replacement drive yesterday. Installed it, booted and added it as the Parity drive. Went through the Parity-sync for about 7 hours with no errors. After that, I did a Check Parity for another 4.5 hours. This morning everything looked good  :D

Thanks for all the help guys

Cheers