Network Latency / Changed to Realtek issues on Workstations

I was about to write the following when I discovered that the problem was restricted to 4 - Win7-64 workstations with Realtek nics.  Updating the driver brought the speed back to normal.  The 4 Win7 workstations were based on Biostar TH67+ motherboards.

I will post this for others benefit....

======================================

I have an unRaid (v5 rc12a) server that is used as a backup of image files from a dozen Win7-64 Ult workstations.  Accessing large files is fine, but accessing smaller files is slow.  (3mb-50mb files)  We normally access the other workstations over the network, but if the workstation is unavailable, we can always get the files from the unRaid server.  The problem is that files accessed this way are 2-5 times slower to access than getting the files over the network from the workstation that hosts it.  I have checked ping response and it is fine.  (see below).  Cache_dirs is installed. What else should I be tuning?

Standard ping from workstation to server show response time typically less than 1 ms.  A file copied from unRaid via windows explorer to local hard drive comes down at between 100-120 megabytes/sec.  All workstations are Win7 Ult connecting to unRaid via SMB. 

(Server is based on a SuperMicro X9SC-F-O.  / i3 2100 and 4GB of RAM.  / 2-m1015 and 1 - MV8 on Antec 620C powersupply inside a Norco 4224 case, feeding a bunch of 2 and 3tb drives.)

Archived