Hardware recomendations? NZ

Thanks, I will check out the forwarders...

I just opened my CM 690 case and it turns out I have a Corsair HX520 in it already...

my next question, I just booted into unRaid to check that my motherboard will allow me to have 3TB drives...

seeing what I see below... does this mean that my motherboard will accept the 3TB drives fine?

I did note that the internal Raid on the mother board showed the drive as 750GB (i think)

Any help greatly appreciated...

3_TB.png

It does look like it communicates with it... If the drive is empty, new, or otherwise does not have desired data on it... I would suggest doing a pre-clear with the preclear script.  This should tell you if there are any problems, not only with the drive, but also with incompatibilities with the drive and your motherboard/controller.  Then the drive will not only also be tested, but also be ready to add to your array as a data drive.  If adding it as a parity drive, it is still recommended to run a pre-clear cycle on it first to stress test it and make sure it looks like a good drive to trust for parity protection for your data drives.

Here is the post for the script... http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2817.0  Look at the end of the first post for the download link...

seeing what I see below... does this mean that my motherboard will accept the 3TB drives fine?

I did note that the internal Raid on the mother board showed the drive as 750GB (i think)

Any help greatly appreciated...

3_TB.png

Yes, it shows that the Linux driver supports 3TB drives on your system.  If the motherboard is showing the modulo 2TB value (a bit over750GB residual), then the BIOS doesn't support drives > 2TB.  However, since the Linux drivers do, it will work fine, regardless of BIOS support.

If your motherboard supports USB 3, yes it would be faster.

The USB stick doesn't need to be very big. 4GB is plenty. Mine is 2GB and I'm only using 270MB.

I'm not sure that UnRAID has drivers for USB v3 ... does anyone KNOW for sure?    If you try a USB v3 flash drive on a USB v3 port and it doesn't work, just plug it in to a USB v2 port and you'll be fine.

If your motherboard supports USB 3, yes it would be faster.

The USB stick doesn't need to be very big. 4GB is plenty. Mine is 2GB and I'm only using 270MB.

I'm not sure that UnRAID has drivers for USB v3 ... does anyone KNOW for sure?    If you try a USB v3 flash drive on a USB v3 port and it doesn't work, just plug it in to a USB v2 port and you'll be fine.

Yeah, I know for sure it does. Drivers were added a long time ago, in the early RCs if not during the beta period. In fact I've precleared a drive over USB 3.

I was going to say if you really want to spend that much extra for faster boots it would be fine, but then I looked at the prices of the rest of the flash drives list!  :o :o :o I can get those flash drives for literally a half to a third of the price, with free shipping, here in the US. Even with the currency conversion. Stuff is expensive over there!

Since it's not much more than the other flash drives I say go for it.