Folder Appears in Disk Share but not in User Share

Hi there!

Have a bit of a strange one here.  I've just discovered that one folder that can be seen and accessed on a disk share doesn't appear at all in the corresponding user share.

I've tried re-running the permissions utility,  renaming the folder, copying the folder back to the cache disk deleting the original and allowing the mover the transfer it back to the array.  So far I've had no joy!

Does anyone have any further suggestions that I could try?  :)

Thanks for the quick reply cpl!  :) Regarding the create a file workaround, I tried this but no joy unfortunately.  I did experice a similar problem a while ago on Windows, Tom made a suggestion in this thread which resolved it for me: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25267.msg236461#msg236461

I should have probably mentioned, but my client is running Ubuntu rather than Windows.  I'll double check on a Windows machine though and ensure that the behaviour I described in my OP is the same.

I've just tried accessing my user share via Windows and the problematic folder shows up!

Based on that my feeling is that this is probably timing related - amazing how picky SMB appears to be regarding server/client time.  I've followed the instructions on the Ubuntu wiki to manually edit the '/etc/ntp.conf' file, I commented out the default NTP servers and added 'pool.ntp.org' and reloaded the NTP by running 'sudo service ntp reload'.  Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have resolved the problem on my Ubuntu client  :-\

Does anyone have any ideas?

I've just tried accessing my user share via Windows and the problematic folder shows up!

Based on that my feeling is that this is probably timing related - amazing how picky SMB appears to be regarding server/client time.  I've followed the instructions on the Ubuntu wiki to manually edit the '/etc/ntp.conf' file, I commented out the default NTP servers and added 'pool.ntp.org' and reloaded the NTP by running 'sudo service ntp reload'.  Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have resolved the problem on my Ubuntu client  :-\

sorry, i can't help you, but your tip with the timeservers solved my problem! thanks a bunch to you and tom! :D

Just to update, I've now tried configuring my Ubuntu client to use my unRAID server as the NTP server. 

Sadly no change in behaviour - very strange and am now doubting if this is indeed time related since my server and Ubuntu client are in sync... I can't understand why it works in on my Windows client though!

Could this be some kind of SMB related bug? Perhaps only affecting Linux clients?

sorry, i can't help you, but your tip with the timeservers solved my problem! thanks a bunch to you and tom! :D

Glad to hear it helped you out!  ;) I'm guessing your client is Windows?

yes, windows 8. it was driving me nuts, knowing the data is there, but not always finding it where it's supposed to be. it appeared in the disk shares, but not the user shares or the other way around. or in the cache folder and nowhere else. so, thanks again!  ;D