USB Key, faster = better?

Kewjoe

I tried searching for this topic and didn't come up with anything. I've read over the suggested brands. I noticed for PNY it had "slow" next to it. Would having a faster USB key help for anything in particular? I was looking at the Corsair Voyager GT which has a claimed 34mb/s read and 28mb/s write.

Is there a point? or should i save my money?

the speed is essentially imaterial.... go for reliability.

;)

Thanks :)  I was hoping you'd say that, for the same price I could get a 4gb stick instead of a 2gb. I realize unraid doesn't need near that much space, but i may eventually try to put some addons (apache/mysql/php) so i can consolidate my servers. Anyway, thanks for the response.

;)

Thanks :)  I was hoping you'd say that, for the same price I could get a 4gb stick instead of a 2gb. I realize unraid doesn't need near that much space, but i may eventually try to put some addons (apache/mysql/php) so i can consolidate my servers. Anyway, thanks for the response.

Any and all of those add-ons can live on any of your data disks.  They do not need to all be on the flash drive... AND a 2 Gig drive would probably be plenty anyway.  unRAId itself uses under 40 Meg.  If you keep several versions like me, plus all kinds of assorted add-ons, you will still have a tough time filling a 2 Gig drive.    I've only got a 1 Gig drive, and I do a lot of playing with packages, and I've still got over 300 meg free on my flash drive.

Joe L.

;)

Any and all of those add-ons can live on any of your data disks.  They do not need to all be on the flash drive... AND a 2 Gig drive would probably be plenty anyway.  unRAId itself uses under 40 Meg.  If you keep several versions like me, plus all kinds of assorted add-ons, you will still have a tough time filling a 2 Gig drive.    I've only got a 1 Gig drive, and I do a lot of playing with packages, and I've still got over 300 meg free on my flash drive.

Joe L.

Good point Joe, didn't think of that :) Thanks