Upgrading from 4.7 to 5.0

My flash drive seems to have "acquired" a lot of random files from plugins I have tried and no longer use. I am not sure if they are still needed but I didn't want to mess anything up by deleting files that I might need and due to the fact that I hardly look in my flash drive I just ignored them. However I am one of those crazy people who need everything organized and therefore knowing that I have a a cluttered flash drive bothers me. That being said... When I do upgrade to 5.0 is it possible to delete everything off of the flash drive and start fresh (but keep all the data)? From what I read it should be ok as long as I know which hard drive is the parity drive.

Yes, that's easily possible.

What I'd do ...

(a)  Run a parity check before the upgrade to confirm everything's okay.  If any sync errors are round and corrected, run it again to be sure you then get all zeroes.

(b)  SAVE your key file [Pro.key or Plus.key] from the Config folder to your PC.

©  Copy the entire contents of the flash drive to a folder on your PC  [e.g. "Old4.7 Flash"] ... just as a safety precaution !!

(d)  Note the serial # of the parity drive and (if you have one) the cache drive.

(e)  If you really want to start fresh, take out the flash drive and plug it in a PC.  Reformat it and label it "UNRAID".  Now run the MakeBootable utility from the v5RC15a download, and copy all of the files to it.  Finally, copy your key file to the Config folder.

(f)  Now boot your UnRAID box with the "clean" flash drive;  assign all of your data drives -- but not your parity drive (yet).    Then Start the array and confirm everything looks okay.  NOTE:  If any drive shows as "Unformatted" do NOT format it -- post here first and get some advice.

(g)  Now stop the array and assign your parity drive.    Then start it back up and let it compute parity (many hours).    When it's done, run a parity test to confirm all went okay.  Done  :)

Thanks garycase for all the detail. :D I was planning on upgrading to rc15a but with recent events I decided to wait. I'll post back once I have upgraded.

Given the data loss issues noted with the most recent release, I think that's a good idea.  Waiting for v5.0 final before upgrading isn't a bad idea.

Archived